1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family not supportive at all

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by FightingShadows, Jan 8, 2014.

1. FightingShadows

It really sucks how some people expect you to go through the whole physical change in order to even use the right pronouns with you. I feel like that's the case with my family. My parents have known I'm trans for almost a year now and one of my older brothers had told me the day after Christmas that he's known about me for awhile thanks to my mom telling him. My parents and my brother have been cool about it but they REFUSE to call me by my chosen name or the right pronouns and I just feel like they expect me to go on T or else this is all "just a phase" with them. (Which, actually my mom has inquired about before). The thing is, right now, I don't mind my body. I kind of like the way my body looks (aside from some toning up I could do). I don't have too bad a feminine shape. And not that I could even afford T if I wanted to take it right now anyway.
    So, I was just wondering if any transpeople out there are in the same boat as me and how do you deal with it? Do you correct them, do you just let it go?
    I would correct my mother, but she would just turn into a big blubbering mess and I really rather not deal with that :/

2. MightNeedThis

First off, I want to apologize to you for your situation, that's rough and I hope that the issue with your family goes away soon.

It sounds like at the very least a long conversation is in order. Remind them that for you, coming out wasn't easy at all, and their constant refusal to work with the change is insulting to you. Let them know how it affects you.

This reminds me to a thread a read through a couple weeks ago, and it had one suggestion that made me laugh, it may be a little passive but it definitely gets the point across.

What the suggestion was [and if anyone can remember who said it please, let me know!] was to address everyone causing the issue by the wrong pronoun [and maybe even name, in your case] for a day. When they confront you about it, calmly and politely tell them that is how you feel.

Now, granted, I'm cis, personally, but I thought it was a very creative [though possibly a bit passive] of an approach.