1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dad's acting...suspicious.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by PurpleGrey, Jan 9, 2014.

1. PurpleGrey

So yesterday, I went to bible study, and dad called me in the middle. Naturally, I ignored him and called back later. He didn't answer, but he did call again later. I told him I'd been in bible study, and then he up and says he wants to go to church with me.

Now, if anyone's heard or read my griping about what a homophobic ass he is, they'd know he's miles far from the sort of person who would ask that. Or rather, state it. I go to an LGBT church, you see. I just don't trust him to behave civilly or to not treat me any worse than he already does.

I can't say what I mean or even identify what I mean, so I can't quite say what it is that makes me suspicious and distrustful. All I know is, I have no reason to trust him and no ability to trust him.

So I said I wouldn't be comfortable with him going, and he said if I change my mind...

So I don't know what to think. Any advice or anything?

2. Techno Kid

hmm is it possible he is trying to grow as a person?

3. willycubed28

If it were me I would give my dad a chance. Maybe he is trying to change for the better. Maybe he wants to start supporting you. You will never know this until you try and give him a chance. I do hope that whatever you decide that it goes well for you.

4. Black Swan

I would let him come. The exposure of a LGBT church might help him change his ways. Homophobia won't be tolerated I'm guessing, so something about the environment might force him to consider his actions. Good Luck! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Lolachan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Perhaps he is trying to see, for the first time, what your world and perspective are all about. He must know there are people there that support you. Perhaps this is an effort to learn how he can do that for you.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Maybe you should let your daddy come .

7. PurpleGrey

Hmm, dads not really the type to switch from "gay is a sick fetish and you go to hell" to "maybe I should know more and understand". I dunno, guys, it's possible, but it would be out of character.

8. apostrophied

Why don't you simply talk to him and ask him what makes him ask you to take him to your church?

9. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, just ask him. You know him better than any of us, so you should be able to tell if he's genuinely interested.

10. Lipstick Leuger

I would invite him and let him see that gay people and gay relgious people are not sick, or twisted and such. It may put his mond at ease and maybe he does not know how to support you. Sometimes parents just wnat to make sure their kids are not under 'bad' influances and this may be the perfect opourtunity and learning experience for him.