1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixed signals...what do they mean?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by thediaryofjake, Jan 9, 2014.

1. thediaryofjake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello, I need some advice. I went online to talk to a guy. Truth be told, we were supposed to have "phone." We didn't. Instead, we talked awkwardly for an hour or two. I didn't want the conversation to end. I felt something. I didn't know him or know what he looked like, but I felt an attraction towards him. The line cut off. I called back but he didn't answer. I sent him a text telling him to text me. I'm not sure, but I got the impression that he was new to the gay thing and was treading on new territory. His shy, cautious voice gave that impression, and I figured that was why he never answered my call. Time goes by. I eventually lose his number.

He contacts me months later out of the blue. I didn't even know it was him. I don't get it. What does that mean? He contacts me months later and manages to have my number saved? Am I looking way too much into this? Or is this a simple, meaningless out-of-the-blue greeting?

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How is this a mixed signal? It sounds like he thought things through and decided it was worth a shot to contact you again. Maybe something changed recently that has made him think about you, which is pretty great, IMO. It's never meaningless when someone you haven't talked to in a while contacts you on their own initiative.

3. thediaryofjake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thank you for your response. A mixed signal perhaps is a strong term, confused is probably more suitable, but to answer your question, mixed signal in that he cuts me off completely and then reestablishes communication months later. I mean...it's such a long time. And as for meaningless, I don't mean meaningless in a negative term. I mean it as a casual "drive by" greeting. It comes and then...whoosh! it's gone.

It's been a couple of days since I've heard from him, and I hope he contacts me, but as of now...it's all just so vague.

4. Wildwings

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not a mix signal trust me I know what mixed signals are that's defo not one if he was shy maybe he finally plucked up the courage to give it a shot. If you still available try speaking with him again and see how it goes. Mixed signals is when someone goes hot then cold often I personally have no time for that anymore too confusing. Some guys do this I had a few get in touch a month or so later after i thought they was not interested but it always been too late as i have moved on I don't do waiting games anymore.

5. thediaryofjake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well...mixed signal or not, that's not really my issue with it. It's just so vague. One month or two is understandable, but 8?

Thanks for your input! :slight_smile: