1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Moms Support

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by angel626, Jan 10, 2014.

1. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I Just recently got a hair cut and what I decided to get was a drastic change; a change that I have been wanting for years. My mom doesn't like the fact that I cut my hair because I now look like a "stereotypical lesbian." When I came out my mom, she did not want me to be a butch and she was afraid that I wanted to become a man. Well truthfully I am unhappy as a girl and feel so uncomfortable in my own body. But seeing how she reacted to my hair cut was bad enough and I hate to see what her reaction will be when I tell her that for as long as I can remember I had always thought about how my life would have been better if was born a boy and that when I look in the mirror I wish my reflection would be the guy I have always imagined myself as. I don't even know how I plan on telling her let alone how am I going to explain so she can understand.

Oh and when I say drastic I mean I cut off most of my hair. Here's my before and after; I must say I feel so liberated and excited that now I'm finally doing what makes me happy.

Attached Files:

2. Sunshine Cries

First of all: I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! The haircut looks great. To me, it looks like it suits you a lot more than long hair (and its so much easier to take care of ^.^).

Here's the thing with moms. They want their kids to have the easiest life they can. So, when you first came out as lesbian, she was probably scared that life wouldn't be as easy for you, which... Is the truth. While society is starting to accept lgbt+, genderfluid, genderqueer, bigendered, and transgendered people have it harder than cis people who happen to be gay, bi, etc.
    Now I'm done playing Devil's Advocate.
    I think the best thing you can do is just explain what makes you feel comfortable to your mother. She may not understand the concept of being genderqueer (if that's how you identify) at first, but as your mother, she'll try and understand the best she can. At least, she should. I guess the best I can tell you is cross your fingers and... Go for it.

I hope I hoped in some way, Angel. Good luck! :slight_smile:

~Sunshine

3. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @sunshine thank you very much both for the compliment and the advice :slight_smile:
    I never really thought my mom was worried; I just always thought she didn't like it. I do plan on telling my family but I'm still working up the courage to tell my friends first. I know I will receive support from my friends; I just hate how overwhelming coming out can be sometimes.