1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Mom's Boyfriend is a Jerk

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by purplekitty, Jan 11, 2014.

1. purplekitty

At first he seemed really nice, but for the past few months he's been showing his true colors. Apparently he's racist, sexist, ableist, homophobic, transphobic, and he thinks all poor people are lazy. I don't know what to do. I only go to my mom's house every few weeks, so it's not like I can make a real impact on anything. But I hate this situation! I want to speak out, to tell him to stop saying these things, but every time he says such things I get afraid. I get afraid that he'll hurt me, even though I've never seen him physically hurt anybody. And later I feel really awful because I didn't stick up for what I believe in. What can I do to feel more courageous, to tell him to stop? What should I do if he starts yelling at me? I've never met anyone like this before and I don't know what to do. :help:

2. SaudadeCoimbra

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well it sounds like he's quite a hypocrit or at least a jerk. Have you talked to your mum about this yet? Does she know how you feel about her new (is he new?) boyfriend? I think the best way to start is to say to your mum "I don't like how [insert name] is [flaw]." See how she reacts. Also, how are you sure he's all these things you say he is? Does he talk about them like some sort of old man ranting about interracial couples or is it more subtle?

3. purplekitty

He's not a new boyfriend. She's been with him for 3 years now, but in the last few months he's been saying these bad things. He does it in subtle ways mostly. I found out he was racist because I was talking about a police brutality story I read online and when he heard that the victim was black, he said they deserved it. Another day we were driving past a poor neighborhood and he started talking about how poor people are lazy and could stop being poor anytime. And he made fun of my brother when he accidentally wore my mom's jeans, saying things like "I don't want to catch you wearing dresses and being a girl haha".

No, I haven't talked to my mom about it. I wasn't sure how to bring up the subject. She's been in a bad relationship before, and she swore up and down that that other man just needed a chance. That relationship ended in the fiery flames of a divorce. I don't know what she's going to say about this guy.