1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mt straight crush found out that I like her

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Spirit, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Spirit

So, as the title implies, my straight crush, S, undoubtedly knows I have feelings for her. S found out over break, (coming up on threeish weeks ago.) just a heads up, this is going to be long.

S and I have been friends for almost a year. We met through theater, and there's always been this kind of hard to explain (i use the word loosely) spark between us. S and I have a lot in common, and I realized that I had feelings for her over the summer. She's a naturally flirty person, and sometimes does this 'yes, this is clearly fake' thing with me that typically includes a come hither look, and a shoulder grab. S continued doing this after I came out to her, even snuggling with me a little bit at a sleepover. A few times she had mentioned to me that she had thought she was bisexual. Eventually I had talked myself into thinking that maybe, just maybe, I had a chance with her. Just not something I'd ever act on.

In The weeks leading up to her finding out, the crush was really starting to weigh heavy in me, and I had been doing something very stupid. I had repeatedly mentioned to S that there was a straight girl I liked and refused to identify her. But, in actuality, I was talking to S about herself. The mystery straight girl was S.

Now, finally on to the night it happened. In the middle of a talk about relationships, the 'mystery girl' came up in conversation. By this time, S had gotten very curious about who this girl was. Very curious. She asked if she could play 20 questions to figure it out.i reluctantly said yes, thinking that I could weasel my way out if she got close to the truth. But I was dead wrong. S ended up asking if the girl was in a specific part of theater, the same as S. There were only so many people she could guess before getting to herself. And she did. She asked me point blank if it was her. I lied initially but I was pretty well trapped, so I said yes.

S was surprisingly nice about it. Telling me to stop apologizing because it's not my fault, and asking why I hadn't talked to about it before. But ultimately, she told me that she would give me some space so I could "figure things out." We didn't talk for what were two of the worst weeks of my life. We saw each other a lot at school. But we'd just make eye contact, then pretend we didn't see each other. For a while, it seemed like telling her was actually helping me feel better. I met up with my friend, V, and snuggled into her shoulder while watching a movie with her. It looked like I could start moving on. But then it hit me just how much I care about S. Which is quite a lot.

She stayed silent until last week, when she approached me in a pretty empty hallway. S basically blew up at me. Blaming me and saying I was the reason she didn't want to do tech for the current play at school. She ran off before I could really say anything. I knew I had to say something. The next day, we talked it out. She apologized profusely for being mean, and reiterated that I had to stop apologizing for it. S told me that telling her had taken a lot of courage, and that she could never tell someone she liked about her feelings. We agreed that we still want to be friends, and decided to hit the fresh button on our friendship. It was a good talk.

Things are still normalizing between us. We don't text that much. And it turns out I do have thinking to do, such as thinking about if I want to pursue V. But... Despite the fact that it looks like everything is going to be fine, I just have to worst feeling that something is going to go wrong. And I really don't want to lose her. Already, my feelings for her have gotten in the way. In a conversation, she mentioned that she feels so done with a guy she likes, and has apparently give up on the idea of having a boyfriend in high school. I could hear it without thinking, "Well, for the love of god! You know if be with you in a heartbeat!" But I know that I can no more make her like girls, than a guy can make me straight.

If someone else has been through something similar to what I'm going though, please tell me about it, and how it turn out. I need advice from people who know what straight crushes can do to a person. And, sorry for making you read that ungodly long post.

2. knysna

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey Spirit

Well I can't really say our situations are exactly the same, I haven't had a crush on a straight person, but I did go through something pretty similar to you a few years back. Here's what happened to me:

The girl I had a crush on was a lesbian but she was already in a very committed relationship (We were all in the same group in college so I had to watch them together and stuff :/ ) so she was unavailable. Absolutely no one knew I was gay either at that time. She and I became very close friends and I found it very hard to hide my feelings from her. She knew that I had something on my mind and asked me a lot what was bothering me. I told her at one point that I couldn't tell her because she'd hate me if she knew. I never had the guts to tell her that I liked her but in the end I told her that I thought I might be gay. She's not stupid though and I bet she guessed that I liked her. She was very kind to me that day, but we didn't really talk much after that. I think it felt too awkward for her. I mean I know she loves her girlfriend and I'm not really in the habit of trying to break people up either!

This kind of situation is difficult and there's no absolute answer I can give you. I ended up moving away to uni, taking myself away from the situation. I still missed her desperately but it was worse being near her every day and knowing I couldn't be with her.
    From your situation, I find it interesting that S told you she thought she might be bisexual after you came out to her and she was snuggling up to you and stuff. She's also bringing up that she feels done with a guy that she likes when she knows that you like her yourself. Maybe she's worried about her sexuality and doesn't feel able to tell you how she really feels? I'm just guessing here. But if you're 100% sure that she's straight then perhaps it is best to try to move on even though it hurts. But at the end of the day it's you who knows who and what you really want and if you think something could work with S and it's what you really want then go for it!

I'm not sure if I was any help at all :lol: Hope everything works out ok for you!