1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would testosterone help?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by OhSOCurious, Jan 15, 2014.

1. OhSOCurious

Hey... So um... yea the title pretty much sums it up. But for some insight as to why:

I act SUUUUUPER straight when I am at school. But I tend to get feminine and it leads to frequent name calling or people not taking me seriously. No matter where I go... my voice seems to be the softest (not literally, just that people don't listen to me). I want to be more masculine and stop sounding like an "over reacting girl". I don't like the way I talk... I sound stuck up and girly sometimes and people don't take me serious. Maybe it's just my look, but I feel like my looks make me appear "tough" (sometimes). Would testosterone help me act more guy-ish? I mean... being sensitive and girly sometimes helps with personal friends and helping people but... I think it just screams "make fun of the f****t".

Help? :confused: :icon_redf

2. TheGuardian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay I had this EXACT situation so I know what your going through. I did a few things to deepen my voice a tad.

1. Speak from your diaphragm.
    2. Talk slower
    3. Exercise your neck
    4. Drink warm water or weak warm tea
    5. Breath normally
    6. Hum deeply from your throat, with your lips parted and your chin pointed down toward your chest, to warm up your voice.
    Raise your chin slowly while humming and then begin speaking directly from that humming voice so that it sounds from that deeper tone.
    7. Also don't say "like" or "ugh girl" etc
    8. It took me a while to control my voice from coming off as girly or high pitched.
    9. Stand up straight, don't put 1 hand on your hip and slouch your booty to one side.

Also, watch some YouTube videos >.>

I did these things to help me stay out of trouble with the tough guys. In middle school I was picked on a lot. Now people tend to just leave me alone.

3. Skov

I understand how you feel. I always hated the sound of my voice growing up and would cringe when I would hear it on a voicemail, in a video in class, etc. My voice is more feminine than most straight guys, and my mannerisms are more feminine as well. It took me a long time to realize that problem wasn't with me: it was with the other people that made fun of any guy who wasn't "manly." There is absolutely nothing wrong with being feminine.

Our society does a terrible thing to men. From an early age, we are told to "man up" and to "be a man" in everything that we do. It teaches this attitude that the only way to be a man is to act very masculine no matter what. I like wearing tight clothes, watching Bravo, doing my hair, applying lotion like it's free, waxing my eyebrows, and I am still a man. Those details don't make me any less of a man. I identify as a man; therefore, I am a man.

I'm sorry that people at your school are mean enough to make you want to change something about yourself. It really does suck sometimes; I totally get that. I have no idea if testosterone would help, but I don't think you should try to change anyway. I'll say it again: there is absolutely nothing wrong with being feminine. Don't change for anyone but yourself.

4. loserboyWonder

i have the same issue (for different reasons, but) !

if you REALLY REALLY feel the need to be less feminine...

if you feel yourself getting angry, it's important to calm down so you can think straight. this makes it easier to control any feminine mannerisms you may want to fall into ! remember to stand up for yourself. don't let anyone walk over you.

testosterone, unfortunately, will not change the ways you speak. it might make your voice deeper, but only you can change your own unique way of talking. good luck !

5. Skov

6. Ruthven

Skov's got the right idea here. There's nothing wrong with being fem in any way. And just adding in, if your T levels are already in the right range for you, if you put any more T in your system it'll likely convert to estrogen and you'll get some feminising effects probably.

7. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ruthven is right.
    Nope, do not use it. It will convert into estrogen. That is the opposite of what you want.
    Unless you actually have low testosterone, in which case you should ask your doctor.
    Do you enjoy being masculine, though? That should be an important factor here.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't take any hormone without consulting with a doctor.

It's all in how you present yourself with confidence. The less you start to care about those who judge, the less their judgments will negatively affect you. Some of the most masculine straight guys (in terms of being comfortable in their sexuality) are the ones who aren't afraid to do "girly" things.

9. Mrcake

I don't think testosterone would help you unless you have some sort of endocrine disorder. I have been taking it for years because I have an endocrine disorder, and it helps a lot for numerous things. Your voice may be higher naturally, and you may act more effeminate naturally. Your body will keep maturing until you are around 25 at least, so keep that in mind. I'm 22 and still growing, don't feel bad. Don't let other people tease you either. If you feel like you are being teased, then you should get help or just stay away from mean people. I have been teased throughout my whole life due to my voice and other things - it is difficult to think that people can be so mean and not know what's actually going on. Keep true to who you are and don't let other's bring you down. Don't take any testosterone or male supplements unless you have seen a doctor, as those are controlled substances.

---------- Post added 16th Jan 2014 at 02:24 AM ----------

That man up video is powerful and really good. I think that that phrase needs to be used less...kids need to be kids and shouldn't have to man up. Men can still be men if they are emotional - same concept for women.