1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard to be friends with such a caustic person...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by An Gentleman, Jan 15, 2014.

1. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ...Like me. I have this friend. For the sake of anonymity, I'll call him Payne. Okay, maybe that's a little insulting. Pearson, then.

I don't even know what the situation is at this point. Is it a crush? No. I'm relatively un-romantic, and while he isn't bad looking, I don't really want to bone him, either. I'm positive about that much. We're friends, I think, acquaintances, I think, I'm confused, I think. I don't think that he dislikes me, but I think he just begrudgingly tolerates me... and then other times, we work together awesomely.

PEOPLE WITH BAD AND PUNNY PSEUDONYMS: THE MOVIE NOW ON SALE!

The groups of friends we have in common seem to like me fairly well.(Making pseudonyms for them, however, will not go well at all). Some of them know I'm trans (an artifact of the days I was a horribly transparent closet) and some do not. This being northern California, everyone is pretty accepting, if a bit confused and/or misinformed.

I tend to insult people when I speak to them. Maybe it's the autism, maybe it's me being "an insensitive ads" (quote from my father), or maybe it's something else. I've casually called people a lot of things without meaning to offend them. It usually offends them. But with Pearson here, I'm not really sure.
    We engage in friendly banter sometimes. It's awesome and we throw a lot of ad hominems around.

As you know, I tend to swear a lot. So much, that Pearson says "swear jar" every time I say a Bad Word. Lately, he's started up an insult jar... Oops. How many snickerdoodles do I owe him? I have lost count. Do I even owe him anything? It could be a running joke by now.

It's not really dislike, I don't think... I mean, we are both sarcastic people with dark and demented senses of humor (ironically, I'd be the straight man to his wise guy). I don't want to give up my friend/acquaintance/whatever-the-heck, but I'd like to know where to start with this situation.

There was an event a while ago... I was printing out some paper in the classroom, and I ended up picking up a couple of extra papers. Turns out that one of them was the attendance sheet. I could not resist the opportunity for Lulz, so I showed the group. Turns out that Pearson's address was on there, along with a bunch of other Personal Information. I didn't initially notice that. Great. I don't think I'll ever live that down.

#1 An Gentleman, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  2. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Tl;Dr
    I think I've done something wrong...
    But what?

3. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, after getting some help reviewing this thread, I've realized that I've been vague.
    It's time to fix that, so people can actually understand the point I'm trying to make.
    Brevity is wit.
    • I think my friend is more distant to me than he is to others.
    • We used to be enemies. That might be why.
    • I tend to be sarcastic, but I also tend to be literal-minded, so I thought that might be the problem.
    • So, how can an attendance sheet be funny? I drew a cartoon on the back of it. I thought it was funny. I used a piece of scrap paper from my teacher.
    • On the back, there were things like Student IDs and home addresses on it. He noticed, but I didn't until it was too late.
    • I think he knows about my gender identity already.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going to be honest, I'm still not 100% sure what you want out of this so let me sum some things up and you tell me how many if any of them are actually correct before I try and do something useful with them!

-There is this guy you are 'friends' with, who you think you have pissed off, but you're not sure how
    -This bothers you
    -You think you and this guy have a decent back and fourth and vague insults and cursing usually go down fine with him, but you think this incident where you accidentally showed a piece of paper with a bunch of his personal info on it to your mutual friends has offended him - you think he thinks you did it on purpose?

Any of those sound right?

Now I'll fling some questions at you and hopefully we can figure something useful out! Yay!

-If he knows your gender identity, is this good or bad? Why?
    -What do you want to happen with this guy, do you just want to make sure he isn't angry with you or do you want to be proper friends again?
    -Have you spoken to him about this?

5. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, it wasn't just his info...
    It was the whole class's info, including my own.
    Otherwise, that seems about right.

I am not too good at this friendship thing, but I'm fairly sure that if he hated me, I'd know.
    To answer the questions:
    -I live in the bluest (i.e. liberal) state of them all. This kind of bothers me, but on the plus side, nobody is extremely homophobic or transphobic- the worst someone would get is mild harassment (e.g. "lol fag" ) or an "ew gross". I don't think he would deviate too far from that general attitude.
    He does occasionally mention transvestites (in his words)when I'm around, and I told him a long time ago, so...
    -He has described me as an acquaintance last year. I mean, I think we're friends, but I would have to ask him in private. I want to find out if he's angry at me or not. I just don't know with him.
    -Haven't spoken to him yet.

#5 An Gentleman, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  6. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thread bump.
    Objectives:
    -Make amends with this guy
    -Figure out what to say to him
    -Study for final exams

7. OuterSpaceACE

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could be mistaken, but when I have used the term "acquaintance" to describe someone, it was definitely NOT someone I considered a friend. It sounds to me, that this relationship is not being interpreted the same by both of you. To be more clear, it does not sound to me that this person considers you to be a friend. Sorry for that. Generally sarcasm and insults are not a great basis for forming a friendship with someone. Sure that can be part of it, but it can't be the foundation of it. This might be a discussion you would want to have with him.

8. Beantown

Beantown Guest

Yeah I think you like what you have with him cause it resembles a relationship kind of, does seem a little toxic though since you guys are insulting each other. Do you think you could be better off without him in the long run? cause I've had so many friends and guys (cause I'm a closet case) who I've been with where we would just continually make each other feel bad and that was good for awhile but then after some huge fight and I just stop talking to them I feel pretty heinous cause I thought I needed them but by the time winter comes along I would wonder why I thought that.

9. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^ No. I wouldn't say it's reached that point.
    To cut contact with someone I've known for a few years because they're being kind of distant is an over-reaction.
    @OuterSpaceACE: ...Now that I think about it, we shook hands on it.
    I guess I'll have to talk to him about it again. It's a good thing you reminded me- I'd end up going in circles otherwise.