1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever made a life changing decision?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Nick07, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Nick07

Hi,
    I am not sure where to put this because it can be related to anything. Have you ever made a life changing decision with no support from your relatives or friends?

How did you know that you are doing the right thing? Or if you didn't know, how you dealt with the fact that you wouldn't be able to go back to what your life was before the desicion?

What was the breaking point? Have you ever regretted it?

If you wanted to but didn't do it, do you regret? I know people say that you only regret things that you didn't do, but I doubt that. We all probably know that there are things that can make our lives worse and that's why we are hesitant to do them because the risk is too big.
    I am right on the edge between "it would be great" and "it can ruin my life for ever." And I have no idea how to make the desicion. What to consider and which worries just to wave off as not important.

Would you share your stories? Optimistic or pesimistic, both kinds will be great. Thank you :slight_smile:

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you're referring to coming out, then yes, I'm on that path and am scared. But, I know that I will have some supporters in both family and friends, which gives me hope. Being far away from home and all that baggage has helped a lot. My parents keep asking me when I come back and live close to them, but honestly I don't think I'll ever do that.

3. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am not sure where to put this because it can be related to anything. Have you ever made a life changing decision with no support from your relatives or friends?

I've made life changing decisions, but not without ANY support from relatives or friends, although it seemed like I didn't have any support when I was discovering my sexuality. I just didn't realize it at the time.

How did you know that you are doing the right thing? Or if you didn't know, how you dealt with the fact that you wouldn't be able to go back to what your life was before the desicion? What was the breaking point?

If you're referring to coming out, I didn't consciously know I was doing the right thing at the time. Something just snapped, and I knew I couldn't go on living a lie with my parents. My Mother assisted me in coming out, because she basically was insisting I get married and start a family, even to the point of arranging for me to have a date with a guy I didn't know. She told me it was "for my own good", since I'd "wasted" 4 years of my life in college and didn't find an eligible man to marry. Her original plan was for me to get married out of high school. I was even given a book from her on my 18th birthday, from the church, basically advice for new brides, and advice on being a good wife and mother, and God's plan for me. How I dealt with her disowning me was that I made my own life apart from her, with the support of my partners family and friends. It would've been a lot harder I suppose if I hadn't already been in a stable relationship with someone. Also, her parents were not religious fundamentalists and homephobes, so I looked to them as my new family.

Have you ever regretted it?

I only regret that the timing of it, on a family gathering, and being unplanned. If my Mother hadn't forced my hand, I might still be in the closet to them.

If you wanted to but didn't do it, do you regret? I know people say that you only regret things that you didn't do, but I doubt that. We all probably know that there are things that can make our lives worse and that's why we are hesitant to do them because the risk is too big.
    I am right on the edge between "it would be great" and "it can ruin my life for ever." And I have no idea how to make the desicion. What to consider and which worries just to wave off as not important.

I can only speak for me, but it (coming out) wasn't great, but it didn't ruin my life forever either. I refused to let it I guess. Coming out to my partners family was great, even though we both thought it would be bad. They treated me like a daughter in law, and I'm still friends with them, even though the relationship is over. They were better to me than my biological parents. My straight brother has always been supportive. My sister was homophobic at first but is accepting of me now. And my mother has now accepted me back as her daughter, although she still thinks I'm going to hell when I die. At first I wasn't going to accept her back as my mother, but am doing so for my fathers sake. It's tough on everybody having to deal with someone who may have a mental illness, so I'm trying not to let the little things she says or does get to me. Of course what I consider a little thing might be a big deal to someone else, I guess it's whatever you've been exposed to.

As far as what's important or not when making a decision, that varies with the person I guess. For example, when she disowned me, I was already living on my own. If I'd come out while still under their roof, or not having the emotional support of friends and my partners family, it'd probably be different.

Sorry if I rambled, just trying to give perspective.