1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My crazy aunt

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by chivalrous, Jan 17, 2014.

1. chivalrous

Ok so in order to explain my current dilemma im going to have to fill you in on the background, my mum and my aunt had never gotten along and based of there childhood my aunt was abusive (physically/mentally) towards my mum. 6 years ago they had a argument and my my mum decided to remove her from her life (never talk to her again) anyways my aunt. Managed to get her mobile and was abusing her for the last few years.

3 years later my sister believed she was the remedy to this problem so she decided to make contact, at first she was sincere but later turned sour and started comparing my sister to my mum and sending hateful text messages. Each time changing her number so we can't block her.

Now here's where things get awkward and complicated. Around the time my mum was pregnant for me, my aunt was also pregnant except there was a slight problem my aunt was a alcoholic and had a miss carriage. When I was born my aunt started mourning and took her abusive rage out on my mum saying "it shouldn't be my baby thats dead, it should be yours" . My mum seems to think that my aunts tries to associate me with her dead son/daughter (me and my siblings believe she is psychologically unwell, but my mum would rather die then ever talk to her again)

A few hours ago my aunt made contacted with me and acted sincere and said how she will always love me, but I feel that she will have a snap like she did with my sister and send me abusive messages.

Prior to that I believe my sister is still receiving the rude text messages. And the person who has been ringing and hanging up on the phone is my aunty, it's both scary and sad but at this point in time I don't want to deal with an unnecessary stress in the new year

The only person who has been left unscathed is my brother and dad and the last time my mum saw my aunt was at a funeral a few months ago and my mum acted as if she was invisible (though she had a good reason I guess)

2. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't contact her back. It sounds like she's done this to the rest of the family, so there's precedent for her lashing out. Is she still abusing alcohol? She sounds like she needs to get some help with her own problems, which is something only she can decide.

3. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's terrible. I certainly wouldn't message her if you can avoid it, she seems to have this idea in her head of you being the son she never had, so don't give her that emotional crutch by talking to her. Like SonshiQuan said, it's probable that it'll end in hateful messages based on what's happened to pretty much everyone else.

She certainly doesn't sound stable, if not psychologically unwell like you say. It'd be a long shot trying to get her to come round through conversation though I think. Is there anyone you could refer her to? She changes her number lots which complicates things but maybe you should threaten to take her messages to the police unless she desists.

Apart from that, I'm not sure. It's not an easy situation. So for now I'll defer to other posters unless I have any other additions. Sorry you're having to deal with this right now, I hope it at least improves.

4. chivalrous

She doesn't have my mobile number but somehow she found out our phone number because she talked to one of our cousins who seem to have told her our address and all she had to do is find our number in the phone book... Maybe we should just change our home phone number to a private number. I honestly wouldn't know what to do if she rings again.?

Also thanks guys for you info and support

5. AKTodd

Why do you want to have any contact with this person? Ok, so she's 'family'. So what?

I strongly advise no contact with her and changing your family contact numbers (although that's your parents decision).

Todd