1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook - message feature

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Tightrope, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I got this idea from this thread from one of our members who received hate mail via Facebook.

Facebook has that pesky message feature. People can use it to engage in arguments. The arguments may not contain anything that is physically, sexually, or mentally oppressive. It could simply be a continuation of previous discord. Also, messages could have only been sent out once, as in getting something off one's chest. Facebook may block a person's use of the message feature because of such use.

Wouldn't this have to be recurrent or harassing, or is a single unwanted message grounds for blocking someone? And if the content is more of a minor altercation, without any of the criteria listed above, how is it that someone could receive a block? I've gotten a few messages from people who didn't like me, but where the content was tame and within bounds, but clearly not amicable. I just ignored the messages. I didn't even block the person. I did not get repeated messages from any one individual.

So, what is the general rule with the message feature and temporary blocks on that function?

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I block people from my facebook if they just won't leave me alone. I hate that I have to block people, but if they don't want to stop sending me messages (that are hate mail) then they have to go. I give them warnings before I block them though.

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This, although I usually don't give warnings. Anyone who is anti-gay either gets put on block or limited post immediately.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Only reason that I gave warnings was because some of these people were family, so I wanted to at least give them a chance. Some actually did listen to the warnings, others did not.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, see below.

---------- Post added 17th Jan 2014 at 03:06 PM ----------

Also, see below.

This isn't about hate messages and sexuality. My question was about the mechanics of the suspension in the message feature, not blocking. What are the criteria that might be used to put a temporary block on someone for sending out a message that confirmed the bad history between two people, irrespective of sexual politics?