1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with my sister's relationship

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by femmeinpink, Jan 18, 2014.

1. femmeinpink

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    As I mentioned in my recent post in the coming out thread, I sorta came out to my mom after a big fight with my little sister. My sister and I have always been close, only 3 years apart, and even though she's always been more social than me, she never expressed a huge interest in having a boyfriend. She's about to go to college in a few months and wanted to focus on getting into a good school and her future career in musical theatre. Well, about a month ago, she was asked out by a guy, one of her friends, for the first time. I'm happy for her, but things have changed a lot in our relationship and at home since then. I moved home after graduating college last month and it's been hard enough navigating life as a recent grad AND trying to come out. But my sister being in a relationship with this guy has made it harder.

She talks about him a lot to my mom, and my mom seems to think it's okay to discuss these things either within earshot of me, or to my face. Before I sorta came out, I don't think she had any idea I like girls and not guys, considering how she's not-so-subtly tried to get me to find a guy to date :bang: The real problem I have with this situation is how insensitive she's being. To be fair, if I could come out to her properly, maybe she'd be better at not talking about my sister's BF all the time. Then again, she knows it's a sensitive topic because I've never been in a relationship and it hurts me that if I had realized I was gay earlier, I may have actually gotten some experience. I'm just worried that when I do come out, she'll try to guilt me into thinking I failed her because I like girls. She's not generally a judgmental person, but she can be pushy and I think she already thinks I'm not good enough because I never have a boyfriend. Once I come out, that option is out and I'm worried she won't be fully supportive of me, unlike with my sister's relationship.

Sorry about the long post, just had to get my feelings out!

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you have any reason to think she might look down on you for liking girls, or is it just a general feeling of un-ease?

3. femmeinpink

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think just a feeling in general, based on how she reacted when I told her I liked girls and not guys. She told me I was confused so our conversation about it ended there. I'd like to open it up again, but I'm worried she'd just compare me to my sister and think I'm just jealous of her relationship.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So imagine you tell her and she does say you're jealous of your sisters relationship and are just saying it out of desperation.

Now you could wait until you actually have a girlfriend to tell her, and she could still use this same argument, so how would you respond to it?

5. EttyT

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Can I ask how old you are?

6. femmeinpink

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    ElliaOtaku: I think if I had a girlfriend it might be easier for me to justify my lack of jealousy but because I don't, I would try to explain to my mom that I don't need to be in a relationship to know my orientation. I just want her to know that it's not a choice that I'm gay, it's just how it is and it has nothing to do with anyone else's relationship status.

EttyT: I'm 21! My sister is 18, so also an adult but still living at home until she finishes high school.

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ". I just want her to know that it's not a choice that I'm gay, it's just how it is and it has nothing to do with anyone else's relationship status. "

So what is stopping you from telling her exactly that? There isn't any logical reason for her to tell you it's because you're jealous (although I admit logic very rarely comes in to these things...). You know what you need to tell her, and time has passed since the last time it happened, why not try again if you are comfortable doing so?

8. femmeinpink

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    When I see it all written out, it makes a lot more sense to me than in my own head! Now that I have a better idea of what I want to say, I think I'll be more ready this time around to be able to get my thoughts across. Thank you for helping me work this out!

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope it goes well!