1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel helpless.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by SongshiQuan, Jan 20, 2014.

1. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mom's cancer treatment isn't going well. It's been around 60 days since her stem cell transplant and she's developed serious graft vs. host disease/her body is rejecting the new immune system. She had to get this treatment because the type of cancer she has comes back around 99.8 percent of the time. Now she's telling me she wished she had just fought it traditionally and had the 3-5 years. She was diagnosed last spring and has been through a lot with chemo, radiation, and the stem cell transplant. Her gvh disease has inflamed her GI tract and her small intestine is swollen shut. If they can't get it down through anti-inflammatory/immuno-suppressants then they have to operate. It's a very risky surgery and it fails, she said the doctor told her they don't have a lot of options. She told me the other day "Son, I don't want to keep fighting". She's very hungry(she's being fed intravenously) and in a large amount of constant pain. She's on a lot of painkillers and isn't the most lucid right now. I know she's emotionally fragile because this shit started after being discharged from the hospital and now she's back again. Still, I tried to encourage her but what if she's serious? I don't know what to do and I can't help her.........fuck.....

2. Nick07

I am sorry that a hug is all I can give you (*hug*) :frowning2:

3. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you Nick07..I wasn't really looking for anything special..hugs are good :slight_smile:. I just had to write this down...it's starting to eat at me.

4. Nick07

I don't know what to do if she is serious. Perhaps stay with her and let her feel your love (*hug*)

5. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really sorry to hear about everything going on with your mom. One thing you could try to do is get some pictures printed of you and your family, pets, etc and see if you can tape them up in her hospital room. This way whenever she feels like giving up she can look over at the pictures and see several reasons why she needs to keep fighting. This is what I did for my mom last year when she was in the hospital, once she finally got out she said looking at the pictures and seeing our family gave her a reason to not give up. If you ever need someone to talk to feel free to PM me, I can definetly relate to your situation. I hope this helps.

6. hippo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I want to hug you too! I wish you all the best and everything will be fine, believe me! Life is good! <3

7. bluesky

Hope everything goes well, If you have to vent you're more than welcome to..life gets tough sometime but please try to stay positive! Best wishes to you and your family!

8. AaronMed

I am so sorry to hear this, I just wish I could reach through my iPhone to give you a hug (*hug*). I agree with Nick - just stay with her and let her feel that she is loved.

9. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very sorry for the pain you and your family are going through. :frowning2: My best to you (*hug*)

10. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, all. Thank you so much for your sympathies and condolences. I really appreciate it. I'm feeling a bit better today. We do have pictures of her friends and family(and her little dog too!) up in her room and I know that helps. Her friends have been great, coming in to help and give my poor dad a break. The problem is that I currently live 8 hours away from them and have a crazy work schedule that requires me to be "on-call". I am moving back to their state mid-summer and I'm excited about that. It's just right now it sucks being far away. I call almost every day but it still sucks not being there. I did talk to my dad and brother last night to get a clearer picture of what's going on. It sounds like she is depressed, exhausted, and on a lot of painkillers. She's very emotional, which I think is better than her no longer caring. It's just a rough time for her and a lot of her treatment is a waiting game. She's the strongest person I know and I learned a lot about not giving up from her. It was just kind of a sharp shock to hear her say those things.Thanks again everybody, you guys are awesome!

11. Purplefrog

Purplefrog Guest

I'm really sorry about what you're experiencing at the moment. Like others else have said, I guess it's just important she knows she's loved. That's all that really matters at the end of the day, and is the only thing you can control. If she knows that, she is one lucky woman. Big hugs.