1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gfs dissaproving parents

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by godlovesugly, Jan 20, 2014.

1. godlovesugly

My (ex) gf and I have been together for nearly 2 years. We've had our ups and down like any normal relationship, although mainly due to her reluctance to fully coming out. She has a largw family who is somewhat religious and very judgemental.
    My gf and I are very much in love, we always tell each other and show eachother and the heat and love between us is obvious. We were living together and recently got a dog together. Going against the odds and doing well, however room to improve of course such as getting more excersize and her needing to spe d more time with family.

A week ago today she said she needed a break because her parents were really angry and saying shes not living up to her potential. Her parents never approved of me since she told them we were together and in love etc, they refused to talk to me or look at me qhen I was around picking her up or dropping her off. Shes not the kind of girl to go by someone elses rules and I am just confused. Now she says they are so mad at her they will disown her if she and I are together.

I am extremely heart broken and upset. She says she needs time to fix things with her fam, they think I hold her back but I dont. Her choices are her own n I support her. I could he more encoitaging if thats what she needs. But its just out of the blue and now shes saying she doesnt think we are compatible anymore.

I know she loves me and our dog and our lil life we were trying for, she even talked me into marriage (I never wanted to get married). Im really surprised that she is so easily giving me up for her judgemental family. I understand theyre importance and I know I dont have the same issues with my own family but I am so hurt.

How can she just do this? She is a grown woman and I dont understand how she can just drop me for them..... I can see not wanting to be disowned but I know she believes that theyll come around if shes happy and healthy with me. Instead of making changes hey want to see WITH me she is leaving me. Im just confused. Anyone with similar stories?

2. rainbowkeyblade

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I am bi teenager,
    living atm in a very religious environment and if my parents knew that I am bi they would probably disown me too. (I like heavy metal, nirvana and am a bisexual..)

You'll need to understand that if you grow up in such an environment/household that a lot of things are black and white.. It must be very hard for her growing up like this, then suddenly realizing you're not straight(not conforming to the norm). Her parents prob. don't understand/accept it and are prob. hoping that she still will get a husband. They prob. think it's some kind of phase.. They sound like they're not happy atm.

For me, I am happier and more relaxed at school (which is actually more stressful), than being at home. I am very unhappy at home, it can be quite toxic here. I have awesome friends who accept me for who I am and don't judge me (but they're at school).. I can never wait to get out of the house, and even when I always dread to come home.. I cannot be myself/comfortable at home.. I am always afraid of them finding out (when I found out I wanted to kill myself, wreck the world, jump in front of a train)

godlovesugly-> all the <3 and strength in the world and I hope it works out with your gf

<3 from me <3

3. toushirojaylee

I can relate..first I'll give you this..(*hug*) We're in a very similar situation..ex gf just left me 2 weeks ago..(2 years relationship as well) because her parents wants her to settle down with a man..

She's now with someone else..she still loves me but she cannot fight for us. She made me an option until she finds a man. And yeah she finally did. So we had closure and that's it. It was like she forgot all about us. She never contacted me ever since.

It really hurts..

As of the moment, just give her space. It's really hard to choose between parents and a partner. I know she would choose me somehow but ofcourse I respected her decision that she chose her parents. Give her time. It's either she will see your worth and fight for your relationship..or move on with someone else..(like what my ex did).

It's reality..it sucks..:icon_sad:

4. godlovesugly

Thank you both for your replies. They both rly helped. Thank u so much

5. godlovesugly

Toushirojaylee, I am so sorry that happened to you. I can only imagine your hurt from that. But thank you for sharing because u helped me :slight_smile:

6. toushirojaylee

It still hurts so much but acceptance will be my only choice..*hug* You're welcome. If you need someone to talk to just post on my wall or message me..

7. godlovesugly

I tried to message you but I dont have enough posts yet. Just wanted to thank you from the deepest depths of my heart.

And rainbowkeyblade, I want to thank you immensly as well and just know I am so grateful yo the both of you for your kind replies. If either of you kind souls need anyone to talk to, I am here too.

Namaste