1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So Awkward moment

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by phoenix89, Jan 21, 2014.

1. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (Backstory, non awkward Part, but still needed). Almost a week ago I met a transwoman at the my campus's LGBTQ Spring Kickoff. She is a sweet girl and we talked for a little bit, once I bucked up the courage to actually go talk with people. I do not do very well with crowds. Anyways, after we talked, she added me on Facebook, no biggy. Earlier today, well actually later yesterday, she messaged me on Facebook, and it started out as a normal conversation with basic hellos and how are yous and such. She then asked for my opinion on how I viewed her as a trans*woman, and I said, I have no problem with it. I try my best to love everyone the same, and I mentioned that I have a trans* roommate (with his permission of course). We then started talking about trans* issues, LGBTQ issues, people's opinions, and faith. She is a Christian and was making mention to the verses on not judging, which I full heartedly agreed.

(Now comes awkward part) She then asked about where she could find a girlfriend, and I said that I do not date, so I cannot help with that. But I wished her luck. She then said "Well if you are single, would you want to get to know each other?". This completely took me by surprise. I had previously mentioned in the conversation that I am both straight and Demi. I politely declined by saying that I am, one, not looking for a relationship, and two, I am trying to figure about my whole demisexuality thing. But that still came out of no where and I am kinda confused. This went from just meeting each other to awkward in no time flat. I do not want to feel like I am dragging her along, but I am simply not interested. I do not know what to do. Anyone have any advice? It would be greatly appreciated.

2. UIOP

It sounds to me like she met you, thought you were attractive and wanted to ask you out. That's what I'm reading into it anyway. If you are not interested, then all you can do is say that to her (as you have done) and let her react to it. You don't need to drag her along, you can be 'just friends' with her. However, there is a possibility that she was looking for a relationship/date/whatever rather than a friendship. Personally, I'd recommend asking her something like 'would you like to just be friends with me?' That way, there's no misinterpretation and you can see whether or not she is interested in just being friends. Good luck!

(Of course, take this advice with a pinch of salt. It's just similar to something I experienced a short while ago)

3. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thought I was attractive?? That is something new, I do not think that I am attractive. I did say that we could still be friends, but this was a whole new level of awkward. I have no idea what to do, and if it will be upsetting to her or not. I do not want to hurt her, so I do not know what to do.

4. godlovesugly

Try not to think of it as awkward! It seems she has been straight up and you the same. Good job! I really dont see anything awkward about it id you are being honest with her. You seem like a nice person, and congrats on going to and bucking up at an lgbtq event! :slight_smile: best wishes