1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you make friends?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sitri, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Sitri

I feel pathetic posting this...

I used to have a lot of close friends, but one by one they moved away and I never replaced them with anything but acquaintances. The last one moved away when I was 13. My only "friend" now I've never even seen, we only talk online, but it seems to be what I remember friendship being like.

Whenever I hear somebody talk about their friends I get jealous because to them, a friend is somebody they can depend on, somebody who is there for them, somebody whose company they enjoy and who in return enjoys their company. For me a friend is "somebody who doesn't yell at me when I talk to them". Well, most people don't yell. Most people just walk away and never look at me again. I must be really annoying, probably why I don't speak much anymore. I guess my lack of friends isn't helped by my refusal to ask anyone for anything. If it MIGHT be an inconvenience I will not ask it. That's mostly because of my massive fear of rejection.

2. Beantown

Beantown Guest

I'd like to know this too, the only people who talk to me now are guys who try to ask me out. I'm not even close with the other cheerleaders now that I just graduated, I feel like a total loner with only Mario to keep me company which is sad...

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Making friends is easy, keeping them requires maintenance. Sometimes it does take work, and dont forget it goes both ways.

However you also need to trust people and believe that not everyone is bad. They aren't.

4. The Dude

Joined a club on campus (and LGBTQ club) and met a lot of people. I don't know if you're college bound but clubs are a good place to start. It is hard, before I came out I had no friends at college although I have a good core group at home.

Definitely join a club if you can. Meeting people through work/school is always good. If you don't have a job it's a thought, and if you don't have many people to hang with anyway you might have the time for it. If you're in high school I'd go to a club or extracurricular activity.

Also, when I didn't have friends for a year in college I went to the gym everyday and kept my chin up. I didn't get too down about it, and made sure I did things for me. Get more comfortable in your own skin and friends will come.