1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long distance relationships working? Need examples ASAP!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Wardrobe93, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Wardrobe93

As the title suggests....

I'm starting to struggle to see how this is gunna work?

I love this guy and when I'm with him I dont wanna leave but it seems like such a struggle :S If it was meant to be wouldnt it be easier??

Any good examples would be very helpful!! Or any advice generally

Thanks Guys :slight_smile: xxxx

2. dont know how long you mean as in ldr, but she lived 3 hours away, and we were together for a year! it works if the both of you want it too, it deffo isnt easy but even if you were living in the same town it still wouldnt be easy. relationships never are easy, well.... after the first 6 months is when you start to see someones true colours you relax a little and you argue sometimes e.t.c.

your main source of contact will more than likely be not face to face due to distance so if you want to keep up the relationship youre going to have to speak to him a bit more than you prob would if he lived near, but once you get into a habit of it it all goes okay. might just take a bit of getting used to!

things cant all just fall into place for you, if you want someonthing you ahve to go get it/work for it.

if you both want it to owrk it can :slight_smile:

3. QueerQueen

I can't say I'm in one right now, but me and my ex were long distance we started dating 3-4 years ago and we still talk, we broke up because she couldn't really handle the distance any longer, but we both still had feelings for each other afterwards. Still do tbh I love her, were not dating, but she is the person I want and we both talk every single day, well except for January in January she went to boot camp for the air force and so we won't be able to talk until the beginning of April which so far has been really hard for me.

If you think in the end it will be worth it then stick through it, unless you guys have no plans of living together or being in the same place in the future, then it might be a waste of time, but a good way to waste it. It's up to you if think it's worth it or not.

4. Anon91

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Of course it is different for everyone but if you want something to fill you with optimism then I can help! My girlfriend and I met online due to similar interests and a couple mutual online friends. She lived in Germany and I in the UK. We fell for eachother quite quickly and soon began travelling back and forth to see eachother. The distance quickly became unbearable and she made the decision to move to the UK, after about 7 months of us being together. It was the best decision she ever made, in my opinion (and hers I hope). She is my best friend and I can't imagine life without her. We have been together for just over three years now and still very much in love.

So, it is indeed possible if you love that person enough and would sacrifice some things to be with them. I hope you find your happiness, like I did.

5. Wardrobe93

Can I ask how often did you see eachother?

6. when we both had the money haha, urm... so it varied, i would stay sometimes 3-4 days if i was on holiday from work, but that was only occasionally. sometimes we saw each other for just half of one day depending on other comitments e.t.c, sometimes we spent weekends together. but in general every other weekend sometimes the whole weekend sometimes for half the day, sometimes the whole day, we spoke nearly every day though.

7. Wardrobe93

K well its been similar for us I first met him just before xmas then between xmas and new year and then new years eve (had to be back home for work New years day :frowning2: then last weekend so its been no longer than a 2 week gap and i stayed 2 nights last time. but looks like it might be a bit longer this time :frowning2:

---------- Post added 26th Jan 2014 at 07:48 PM ----------

Thanks i think we just need to have a good talk about it tbh when im there we're either all over eachother of hanging around with his housemates so dont really get a lot of time to properly talk :frowning2:

---------- Post added 26th Jan 2014 at 07:52 PM ----------

Wow thats an amazing story! honestly dont think ive ever heard anything like it! Good luck to you!

8. emkorora

emkorora Guest

No, just because it is "meant to be" does not imply it will be any easier. In fact, our truest and most passionate loves can be sometimes the most challenging...

But that's beside the point. Yes, distance is challenging. I recommend you find something else to fill his gap in your life while he's not there. A sport, hobby, game, friends, TV show, etc.

Communication helps a great deal in long-distance relationships. Moreso than normal ones. As they say, over 70 percent of communication is non-verbal. For that reason, making use of what tools you do have available (video chatting, texting, calling) is important.

9. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Been with my current guy LDR for two years in February. We're four hours from each other.
    It's tough - the first six months were tough for us. Mental obstacles, discouragement, not being able to be physical.
    But, we stuck through it and I wouldn't want to be with any other guy right now. I'm incredibly comfortable with him

In my opinion, the key is that you still put in the time that you would with a normal relationship. Whether that is texting, sexting, phoning, skyping/facetiming, whatever, you two should be constantly communicating because that's what it'll be like in life.

Don't lose hope. Things will work out if you try. :slight_smile:

10. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a former same sex partner who was in the national guard, and her unit got activated for a year to go to Iraq back in '07-08. When I starting a guy, we lived 2 hrs drive away from each other last year. I'm not going to lie, it is a struggle when you love someone and can't be with them, but it can work temporarily if both parties are willing to do it.

#10 sldanlm, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  11. Wardrobe93

Great advice guys!! Really has cheered me up :slight_smile: I think he wants the same as me we text every single day since the day i met him online, havent video chatted since I last saw him but we have been busy.

Basically I think all this concern and worry has made me forget to have fun!! Next time I do go and see him im just gunna make the most of the time I have with him!! :L cant wait just need to sort out a date now!

Again thanks everyone love EC so much!!

12. Drummergirl8

It depends on How far away you to are from each other, the farther away the harder it will be. Even if it was meant to be it doesn't mean its going to be easy, it kinda means it wont be easy. I have been with my Girlfriend for 2 years and we've been friends for longer. i think that we were made for each other and shes the best person ive ever met, but i live in texas and she lives in ontario, canada. Even though me and her are perfect together it was a struggle when we first started dating and even now. We are constantly having to compromise and work with each other. Even doing extra things like face timing when we can or texting for a few min and make our day. it will only work if both of yall really want it to. you have to work to make it work. If he is worth it then id say keep going, but if hes not then all that will really happen is one or both of you getting hurt from the distance.