1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Dating

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by KiddlesP, Jan 24, 2014.

1. KiddlesP

I know of online dating, I know how to stay safe, ect. but is it really a good way to meet people? Are there any good free sites that people have used?

2. LD579

It's an option, at the very least. It can be a good way to augment your chances passively (Waiting for people to message you, for instance), or you could also take the initiative. It works for some... and if it doesn't work, losses are minimal. Increase your chances of getting noticed by others by putting up a picture, having an interesting profile, and being legitimate to an extent.

As EC has members below the age of majority, dating sites can't be named.

3. KiddlesP

Ah, didn't even think of that.

I think since your answer was very good that it is a passive increase, I would be OK if you closed the thread so some people do not accidentally post sites and break the rules.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've been wondering about this and trying to meet other women but every time I try a site it always tells me I have to pay for membership and the total price doesn't come cheap . I'm trying to find some free sites that are legit and won't scam me and i'll get a girlfriend on there

5. AaronMed

I've had good experiences with online dating. Me and my current boyfriend met on a dating site - he messaged me saying he was interested in quantum physics too, and things went from there :slight_smile:.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are very, very few good ones. I know of one where people have had good success because it focuses extensively on compatibility factors. The rest, from what I know, are basically hook-up sites and meat markets. None of the phone apps are good if you're looking for an actual relationship.

If you're over 18 and want the name of the one that I know a lot of people have used with success, feel free to email me.

7. qwe

qwe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've tried my luck with dating apps on my smartphone and haven't had a lot of luck I did meet someone who was amazing though recently but you still seem to need lots of patience (which I don't have).

What annoys me aren't the people which ignore me off bat per say, but the ones you end up chatting to, flirting with + seem really keen on you (I can normally tell polite response from genuine responses or so I thought). You even arrange a provisional date maybe and then........no reply or blocked. There was a guy recently who asked me for more pics and then ignored me after that. I thought I looked the same on all of them (maybe not as good)? Guessing he thought differently.

I've decided that social groups may be the best way forward for the moment

8. WiggleToe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Online dating seems tricky as hell in my opinion. I always have the feeling a lot of the members aren't looking for actual relationships but more for just sex or something. It could be there are a few good sites though. And you need a bit of luck too perhaps.

9. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Online dating is fun, and makes things a lot easier. It's hard enough for straight people to find dates, and they're 90+% of the population, finding a single guy who is into guys who is interested in dating you out in the real world is really pretty darn difficult. And I'd say reading someone's profile and getting to know someone online before dating them is better and safer than just stumbling upon a random dude who asks you out in a gay bar after you've downed an Appletini or two.

I hate the stigma that is put upon all the apps and websites as if everyone who uses them is a sex-crazed creep looking for a hookup.

Yes, there are a lot of bad shady characters on ALL of the apps and sites. But there are also a lot of decent, normal human beings just looking for friends or dates on ALL of the apps and sites.

At least, I would like to think that, considering I am on pretty much ALL of the apps and sites, and I don't consider myself an evil sex-crazed creep. :confused:

If it weren't for online dating, I would never have gone on a date in my life. So I am very much pro-online dating. :thumbsup:

I have met people just to go out for fun dates with even on phone apps with the worst reputation as being only for random hookups. We can't mention them by name, but you know the ones I am talking about.

Most of those dates were in fact completely sexless affairs. Some dates did end up in kissing, making out, or sometimes sexual activity, but that's only because that's just where the dates ended up going and we both wanted to do it.

I have met friends just to hang out with or even just chat with and text... even on the apps with the worst of reputations.

(And I have met people who turned out to just be looking for a quick hookup even on sites with the best reputation, like the compatibility dating site I think Chip is referring to. Though I still highly recommend that site of course.)

I did have one really bad experience with someone I met online, which I shared with this forum at the time. One of us was barely 18, the other was 22. One of us was very confident and outgoing, not to mention very sexually experienced and promiscuous, while the other was shy and scared and inexperienced. One of us manipulated, verbally and physically abused, and basically forced sexual activity upon the other...and I was the other, aged 22 and being taken advantage of and preyed upon by a teenager. (So it's not just teens who get preyed upon, sometimes the teens are the predators, so beware! :eek:slight_smile:

So I've had good experiences, I've had bad experiences. I just recommend getting to know someone really well online (as well as Skyping or Facetimeing them to make sure they are who their pictures say they are) before meeting anyone in person. And when you meet, agree to meet in a public place, like a coffee shop or mall.

But I think if we keep telling normal people just looking for dates to avoid the apps and sites because those are only for creeps looking for hookups...then it kinda becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that those apps become exclusively dominated by creeps. All of us guys who are just looking for friends or love should swarm every one one of those online apps, then we'd quickly outnumber the creeps. :grin:

But anyway, just being on the apps/sites can be good for your self-esteem to get lots of guys messaging you because they're interested in you. Even if you're not interested in any of the guys who message you while the one guy you really like won't even respond to your messages. :angry:

10. Julieno

I pretty much agree on the senseless stigma thing, there are also a lot of normal and not Ill-intentioned people (including myself) that use them. I have had some good experiences, some disappointing ones, and a weird but funny one so I guess i have been lucky

You just need to be smart and pretty much follow the tips that Rakkaus mentioned. It is usually pretty easy to identify the people who are just looking for sex.

The only thing I don't like is that it becomes a bit shallow to judge people by their looks only, but well that is why you should have a reasonably descriptive profile (in my opinion). If someone that is not completely my type seems an interesting guy I would usually answer and see whether if i end up liking him or not anyway.

11. wandergirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was about to start a thread with the same topic.
    I'm not a very big supporter of online dating. do you think it can work well?
    I agree with Julieno. i don't wanna be interested in a girl just by how she looks like. for me, finding a gf is a lot more than that. i wanna meet someone with who i can keep a good conversation. but i don't know if these girls have the same opinion as me and so they aren't in any dating app or website.