1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating: How Does One Date?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Balloonwolf, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Balloonwolf

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As an author, I spend a lot of time on my own with a legal pad or my laptop. The stories I tell put characters into situations where they must grow or fall into turmoil or even death. For me, this is something I understand and feel passionate about. I wake up to write my stories and novels, the latter on hold for a new project.

It's hard, however, to understand dating. I grew up without a close attraction to folks, and when I did feel attraction, it was hard to admit it. Years ago, I came out as bisexual and began dating someone who changed my life in all the right and wrong ways. I'm now at the point where my recovery leaves me to decide if I want to try dating again, which wasn't even dating to me when I did it.

How does one meet people, find someone interesting? I've been told to just jump in the water, metaphorically, and meet people, but I'm having a hard time swallowing that.

2. Beantown

Beantown Guest

Umm... well you can meet people pretty much anywhere like school, when shopping, at a party etc. Usually I don't find people that try to hit on me interesting but I do like the attention so like I just smile and giggle at appropriate times to look interested. Dating is kind of a chore and is no where near as perfect as movies make them seem but it's better than being alone, at least for me. I know everyone says this but common interests do make you connect and engage better with people so try to find people who are into what you're into.

3. emkorora

emkorora Guest

Before I begin, I just want to let you know that face-to-face dating isn't for everyone. Some people do better online, others do well over text. More, still, do well across countries.

Not being an author myself, I cannot give any specific tips. But I understand the solitude involved in many writers' lives. Unlike law, medicine, or other careers where seeking out other professionals and developing a circle of "friends," you're independently preforming your job.

That being said, there are other avenues you can try and take to develop friends, find an interesting person, and see where things go. Clubs, however cliche that may be, are a great example. Who knows, maybe even an online chess club would help you connect to other people in your area. Depending on the size of your town/city, there might be many nearby communities to check out.

I think what it all boils down to is "taking a leap." Whether it be going to the library, going out to lunch, reading in the park, writing on a bench-- those all introduce you to new sights and sounds. And yes, new people too. And with new people comes new possibilities. :slight_smile: one of those possibilities being a date!