1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating someone with anxiety connected to sexuality

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by notusedelsewher, Jan 25, 2014.

1. notusedelsewher

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi guys,

I was looking for some advice on a situation I'm in at the moment. My partner of the last six months has recently just told me that he has been suffering from an anxiety condition that developed around three years ago. This happened when he came out to his parents, who he told before any friends or family, and they dealt with the news quite badly. They effectively pushed him back into the closet, by saying he was a disappointment and was letting down the family.

After this he fell into a clinical depression and developed anxiety over his sexuality. The anxiety was connected in the way that he understands and accepts he is gay but feels as though the people in his family will not accept him. It creates effectively a daily turmoil in his life.

The anxiety has apparently since returned after dealing with it three years ago with medication/counselling, and this time it is related to the fact that he is dating for the first time and it is forcing him to deal with all of these issues again. He hasn't addressed the issue with his family since trying to come out three years ago.

Sorry for such a shortened version of the situation! Anyway here is my concern, I feel as though if he does have all this anxiety related to his sexuality, and being in a relationship for the first time is forcing this anxiety to resurface - is it not highly probable that eventually he'll begin to associate spending time with me with that anxiety? And therefore want to pull away and eventually break?

I'm just worried about where the situation is leading and I've really not had any experience with this beforehand (I'm very comfortable with my sexuality, and fortunate to have a very understanding and accepting family...which I think again doesn't help the situation since he probably feels like I don't understand what he is going through right now).

Obviously my main priority is preserving what we have in the long term. Is it worth slowing things down and creating some distance between us while he deals with these issues? And does anyone have recommendations from personal experience about dealing with anxiety connected to sexuality while in a relationship?

Thanks!

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "is it not highly probable that eventually he'll begin to associate spending time with me with that anxiety? And therefore want to pull away and eventually break?"

Perhaps it will. On the other hand, he's either going to have to deal with it at some stage (if it's not you it will be someone else) or be alone for the rest of his life.

Is he still getting help for his anxiety or did he stop?

3. SpecialK

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That truly is a tough one! It is most unfortunate that his family was so unsupportive when he came out. But as ElliaOtaku said, if he does deal with it now when he's with you and you end up going your separate ways, he'll have to deal with it if he's with someone else...

4. Noah86

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Have you discussed your concerns with him? Definitely do that and maybe suggest going back to counseling. I don't know how close you are, but maybe couples counseling would be good too if you are having a hard time understanding where he's coming from and want to show that its important to you to do so and support him.

Otherwise I'd say take it slow, let him know you are totally okay with how he needs to handle things so that he can feel comfortable and safe.

5. notusedelsewher

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all your replies they were really helpful. We have decided right now to take a break from the relationship and just remain friends for the time being. The reason for this was due to his anxiety and depression seeping into other areas of his life and him needing to take some time to address the issues properly by going through counselling.

His main concern was that he has been negative associating his anxiety and depression to our relationship and that if we were to stay together right now it would have an impact on the likelihood of us having a chance to stay together in the future.

This way he can address his issues, and still confide in me as a friend, and then we can reassess where things are in the future.

I think in some ways this is probably the best way to move forward. I do doubt that he is committed to addressing his sexuality in the short term (otherwise it would make more sense for us to stay together), which does mean there is a large question mark over our relationship that prevents me from moving on.

But I guess right now I just need to show him support and help during this time. As random as it sounds I was thinking of introducing him to a couple of LGBT vloggers on YouTube that post up daily logs about their life - it's often boring, but introduces you to the idea that gay couples can exist in todays society. I know I found it useful to start off with to kind of admire and learn from their experiences.

We'll see what happens I guess - thanks again for you advice and if you have any recommendations about how to move forward that would be much appreciated!