1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crush, Obsession, Infatuation! DX HELP

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by cuddlebewar, Jan 25, 2014.

1. cuddlebewar

So it started last quarter when I saw this really hunky guy walk in to class late. I thought it was one of those love at first sight type of things because I have never been in love or a relationship before. I immediately knew I wanted him, but being me that’s hard. A little about me, I’m 18 attend a university, openly pansexual at school but not at home. I’ve never been in a relationship or had a crush before so it was shocking the feeling I felt when I saw him. He was tall, had a really big chest along with his gropable pecks... the cutest rectangular nerd glasses and of course he has a groomed beard. I have no guy friends, nor can I even handle a conversation with any guy, including my roommates in my dorm. Honestly I have an obsession over him, I write down in my journal every time we pass paths and I tell myself everyday that I will ask him the big question, “ Are you interested in guys?” He looks like he can be bisexual but I really don’t have a clue. I have had some observations that have made me think a lot about him.

Observation 1. We have had eye contact, I made an attempt to talk to him after the class we have together and I just smiled and held my arm with my hand ( what my friend calls cute) and he smiled back, I went mute and didn't say anything. I have learned “the stare” which is when a guy checks out another guy to check if he is something other than straight. But I really don’t take much from that because I always make eye contact whenever talking so its natural.

Observation 2. I was running late at night, around 23:00 and he was coming up the stairs and I was running down and as we passed he stared me straight in the eye like he was trying to figure out who I was, or maybe checking me out... I doubt that though. His eyes were so white and I thought they were glowing in the dark and like he was staring into my soul or something.

Observation 3 ( kinda doubting he’s straight). I see him eating at the dining hall alone almost everyday. and when he’s eating I see him on his phone so I immediately come to the conclusion that he is in a long distance relationship; because who else would you talk to while you’re eating? I have tired to gather the courage to sit with him but I just can't because I really don't want to interrupt whatever he is doing, and even when he's not on the phone he has his headphones on and that's just a sign to not talk to him.

I walk past him almost everyday, and had a class with him last quarter. But this quarter I was to just ask him the question “ do you like guys?” and get over with it. I don’t know why I’m crying and obsessing and stressing over a guy I have yet to meet or even know him name or anything about him. I guess I’m scared to talk to him because I don’t know how to be social or how to talk to men in general...

So basically I want some help as to how to approach him when hes walking alone or when I just see him in general anywhere. I don’t want to come off as a creep (but I will probably will) just to get over him and prove to myself that either he is or not into guys and move forward.

2. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it may be a bit forward to have your first spoken words to him be, "Do you like guys?" A better first comment would be something related to your class or (as cliche as it sounds) a comment about the weather. Keep it short and light. Heck, even just say "Hello" with a smile when you pass him. You can build up future conversations from there.

Also keep in mind he might be the type of guy who is on his phone during meals because he feels awkward about eating by himself. I was that guy in college. I would have killed to have someone from my dorm or my classes offer to sit with ne instead of mostly having to eat alone. Granted that was the era of the original IPod. I usually hid behind a book.

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Grade A infatuation. :wink:
    SimpleMan's got good advice - Your first words should be friendly, not straight to the dating aspect.
    Just get to know him. You need to just say, "Hey" sometime. Then you can maybe talk more and more and get to know him. That'll help you deduce his sexuality.

If you find out later that he is gay, maybe then you can hit up those catchy dating phrases. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Wat

Wat

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's funny how very similar your story gets at times to what I'm experiencing now, even down to the guy's physical description, haha.

But I digress.

First of all, before you make any sort of assumptions that he's interested in guys at all, get to know him better first. It's much better to befriend him and become closer, especially if he is in fact, interested, but closeted. Asking him straight away if he's interested in guys might put him off, placing distance between the two of you. You can slip the question into a conversation later down the line, once you're better friends with him. That is, if it doesn't come up organically on it's own.

Second, I don't really know much about this "stare" or if eye contact really means much about him trying to figure you out or anything. You could be totally right, but I have zero advice for this.

Third, constantly being on his phone in the dining hall doesn't necessarily suggest he's in any sort of relationship. He may be the shy type and is talking to someone back home or a friend from far away. Parents and family, even, could be who he's talking to. Perhaps he's not even talking to anyone, but is just surfing the internet. I tend to bring my laptop all the time and use that to keep me company in the dining halls, being pretty shy myself. He probably just doesn't care for how uncomfortable and lonely it might feel to eat alone without something to keep him occupied. I know it's a difficult thing to do, and I need to practice what I preach here, but a simple "Hey, are you eating with anyone? Mind if I join you then?" can go a long way in getting to know the guy better.

You definitely ought to find out his name before you get too far into any heavy sorts of conversation, such as asking if he's into guys. And don't worry, it's perfectly okay to get crazy obsessive over a crush. It happens to the best of us. As long as you don't take it too far and start following him everywhere and saving his trash or anything, you'll be fine. Heck, even being shy is okay. Not all of us can be social butterflies.

Just keep it cool. Try to seem as calm and nonchalant as possible, and walk up to him. Be friendly, smile a little maybe, and start chatting with him. Ask how classes are going or something simple like that, and you can take it from there.

If you find out he isn't into guys, you'll have to move on, but if he is, you can at least be happy that there's hope.

Good luck, man! You've got this.

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, don't ask about sexual preferences to a virtual stranger because they may not even tell the truth (though, you can usually guess from their reaction). Try to make friends with him first, which will also give you a chance to better guess/know his romantic/personal life. It's much easier if you come out first so that the other person can understand you might be interested in them.

When you see him eating lunch, if the dining hall is packed, that could be a good excuse to sit with him. Like simpleman mentioned, just say hi and introduce yourself as a fellow student in that class.