1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conservative Parents

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Camrok, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Camrok

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This is a pretty common scenario, so I'll get to the point.

I have some conservative parents, tried to come out to my mom, and she had two responses:

"You're just confused."

and

"What makes you think you're bisexual?"

So yeah any advice on how to actually convince my mother that I'm bisexual would be amazing.

2. AaronMed

First of all, how old are you? Kinda need to know that to put it into context...

3. Balloonwolf

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Camrok,

I had the same experience when I came out bisexual/gay to my parents. My father was open and excepting, and he told me later on that he loved me no matter what. My mom was the one who reacted harshly, pushing me aside, not wanting to discuss it or even think about it. When she opened up more, she asked very similar questions to yours. You just have to hang in there, be strong. I'm hiding that I'm a young woman. Is there anywhere you can go, away from the family (for dates)?

4. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It would help for perspective to know approx. what age you are. As far as your parents reaction, for conservative parents, that's pretty common. I wish that's all my parents said when I came out.

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents aren't conservative and I still got this response. As long as they still love you, you can get through the awkward part in the beginning.

6. emkorora

emkorora Guest

Arrange a threesome with a guy and a girl and let her walk in.

BAM, her mind will be BLOWN. I assure you.

7. megaloveme

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ha oh you and I both.. Fun story, I actually discussed some gay feelings with my gay uncle, years ago. I was just questioning, and didn't think it was a big deal. Well he decided that it would be a good idea to bring this to the knowledge of my parents. I was like, 15, maybe. So then they confronted me and that's about how it went.

Except that afterwards, I was embarrassed and betrayed, and I had no answers for them, so I just pushed it all to the back of my mind and everyone forgot. Including me, til recently.