1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell him?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ThatOneKid, Jan 26, 2014.

1. ThatOneKid

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ok so I know there are probably a couple of threads similar or even exactly like the one I am about to start, but I felt I needed to make a new one for myself for my dilemma. So here goes.

For a start I am a CLOSET bi...

So in my group of friends at school the closest to me is a straight as an arrow guy, a real ladies man. These are his exact words: "gays, bis and lesbians can be gays, bis and lesbians just not near me." He does not seem to me like he's considered wavering from this opinion. I guess he's just been brought up to see people who are not straight in a negative light? I don't know...

We hang out quite a bit outside of school. I used to go round to his house lots, but not so much anymore. But we chill out sometimes after school and talk online and we go to a swimming club every weekends to together.

I've known him for just over 2 years and started feeling things for him probably about 6 or 7 months ago. I honestly think he is the cutest guy, he puts on a tough exterior but he's actually really sensitive and smart and funny. It gets awkward because I find myself staring at him all the time and I'm lucky he's so oblivious to it because I do it SO OFTEN.

I really have this urge to tell him that Im bi and I'm practically in love with him, maybe even if its just to prove a point that he's been close friends with a bi for a couple of years now and I haven't ruined his life due to my sexuality. And part of me has this stupid hope he'll somehow love me back.

But I dont want to ruin our friendship if he decides he suddenly hates me, and me telling him I like him might not be the best thing to do when he broke up with his gf of just under two years recently.

But I honesty believe I have a right to tell him and he has a right to know... I don't know if I've given out too much info or what, sorry Im really new and kinda desperate.

So do I tell him? If yes, when and how? If no, why not?

Thanks guys...

2. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Your profile says you're not out at all; I'd be hesitant to make someone who makes a point of being visibly homophobic the first person you come out to. I'd hate to see one negative reaction set you back.

On the other hand, maybe he's just overcompensating, or maybe he'll feel differently if it's coming from you. Finding out that somebody he's already close to is not straight might be easier to accept than someone he doesn't know.

If you were already out I'd definitely suggest telling him as well. It may be difficult or painful, but in the long run you're better off surrounding yourself with people who will accept the real you, not an illusion. If you go down this path, I recommend not telling him that you like him right away unless he asks in a kind way; that can be a lot to take in. One step at a time.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

3. TheSoleOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been in a similar situation and all I can say is, I personally don't think there are any tell-tale signs as to someone's orientation. Especially from what you describe from a situation like this.

All your information seems to be second hand, or observed. When someone wants something, they will often find what they're looking for.

I advise you to deal with these fantasies with cold hard facts. In every good, decent relationship I've had, genuine friendship has been a huge part of that. Your partner should be one of your best friends as well as your lover. That's just my opinion, but it has served me well.

There's no way he's going to tell you the truth about stuff unless he trusts you - and you should be the same. Respect yourself*If you really like him, then you really need to get to know him, as a human being before an object of desire.If it turns out that he isn't bi or gay or whatever, if he's a nice person then you would hopefully just have good friend. And trust me, the bond of true friendship is something beautiful that will transcend time and physical space

But in my case, I did tell the guy I liked that I liked him for his personailty & not his appearance. I am a closeted bi person as well, and it turns out he did like me as well, even thoufh he looked and acted as a ladies man. Honestly, all you can do is open up to him in order to achieve what you're looking for. Who knows maybe destiny is on your side.

So take your time, and enjoy the journey. Don't let yourself be carried away by imposed romantic fantasies of others.

4. ThatOneKid

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    mbanema,

Thanks for the helpful reply, I totally get where you're coming from, the points you made in paragraph 1 and 3 are some of the reasons I haven't told him already. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention before, but to me he only really became OPENLY homophobic about a year ago. But that just might be me not paying attention.

And concerning what you said in paragraph 2 about him feeling differently If it comes from someone he knows: Im optimistic of that because he's an excellent listener especially where friends are concerned and he handles changes pretty damn well. But again this change might be a bit big for him and I don't want him to totally lose it on me and ditch me, because you know... That'd suck. Lol

- -

TheSoleOne

Thanks also. To be honest I feel as though I have gotten to know him as well as any pair of friends could in two years, and he was my close friend long before I felt anything for him as more than a friend. I do trust him and don't see any reason why he wouldn't trust me. If I were to tell him, maybe he wouldn't be so friendly to me anymore, but I highly doubt he'd make a point of hating on me specifically and telling the world. Maybe Im overthinking your reply, but I appreciate you giving your opinion and thoughts.

- -

Thanks to you both. I think I'll have a serious think about telling him at least that Im bi, but perhaps not the part where I like him, at least not yet. :slight_smile:

5. TheSoleOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are going to tell him, just say it indirectly, or like it's a normal conversation. Say like "I care about you", then see his reaction. If it is a positive one go on telling him. That's what I did with my crush. He smiled and told me he liked me more than a friend.

Be casual & if he hates you, what's his friendship worth if he doesnt accept WHO you REALLY are.

Best of luck!

6. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would softly bring up the topic first. Like, ask him about what he thinks about GBL people and if he keeps with his view then try and argue that there's nothing wrong with it etc. Then maybe ask him:
    "Would you still feel that was if one of your best friends told you they were gay?" And see how he reacts. It's relatively safe because if reacts badly you can always just pretend you weren't referring to yourself :slight_smile:

7. ThatOneKid

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    TheSoleOne,

I agree with what you say, but the one problem I have is that he has, shall we say, a high standing in this group of ours at school as if he were to shun me, the rest of them would possibly follow his lead even without knowing why i was being shunned in the first place and that would be pretty unbearable.

--

WhiteShadows,

Sounds like a good idea, idk why I didn't think of that myself. I think I'll do that before I go and say something very defining. Thanks :slight_smile:

8. ThatOneKid

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Just going to do an update because it surprised me and you know, whatever.

So I did end up asking him what he thought of GBLs because he happened to come round my house after school today which is rare nowadays and I thought it would be as good an opportunity as anything to talk about such things, and his answer has changed. He was lying on the couch and stayed silent for what seemed like forever, just staring at the ceiling and then he just said "whatever."
    I asked him what exactly he meant by that and he replied with "whatever means whatever. GBLs are just whatever."
    So I asked him if that meant he wouldn't care if someone close to him ended up being gay or bi or lesbian and again he paused for ages and then said "it would be... uncomfortable..... But bearable..."
    And I just quietly said ok and we went back to just lounging around, bored like in my room silently, until probably three or four minutes later he just went "why?"
    I quickly said "no reason" out of habit. And he kinda just stared at me with this look of realization and I started inwardly panicking, but just stared back, but he didn't say anything and ended up looking away first, staring at the ceiling and walls for a moment and then went back to his ipod.

I didn't bring the subject back up for the remainder of the time he was still round my house and nor did he, because to be honest he didn't really speak much at all after that. And he left pretty abruptly probably about forty minutes later which is like an hour before he normally would and was just like "I gotta go. See you at swimming." So it's not like he's outright told me to back off or anything, but that did seem a bit like he was fleeing from me.

Is this a good or bad outcome? I mean, he didn't have a strictly negative reaction, right, But he didn't have a definite positive reaction either.

Also when I see him at swimming do I bring the subject back up if so what do I say, or just leave it? And what if HE brings it up? I didn't really expect this turn of events so Im unprepared :I

9. TheSoleOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suggest just telling him the truth, as hard as it may be. Honestly he is probably getting a vibe and the most hate towards the LGB community are the people most likely to be closeted gays. I honestly believe that this was a positive response as it might show that he may be gay himself.

For telling him I suggest telling him, indirectly like "You know when you came over to my house..." "do you know why I asked that?". Make him tell you if its too difficult to tell him. If he is a good person, your secret is safe with him.

But if your not comfortable telling him, i suggest just waiting and see what will happen.

If he asks you why you asked that yesterday, he's interested in that topic, probably because he proabably knows your gay or bi, then you can tell him the truth and maybe he will open up to you too.

After that you can tell him you told him because you like him and there u have it!

Good luck!

10. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's hard to judge from his response. He wasn't hateful or anything which wish is good, but not exactly enthusiastic that you brought it up either. My guess is he definitely suspects you are gay so I would just hold off on talking about it any further for now. Now that the idea is planted in his head, let him think about it and if he's interested he'll probably hint at it sooner or later. If not, well, unfortunately not everyone you're attracted to is gay or willing to admit it.

Basically, the ball's in his court, just be patient and see what happens. :slight_smile:

11. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just go with the flow. But try not to think about him all the time, because odds are he will not return your romantic feelings, which can be very hard to accept. Try and prepare yourself for that outcome, because I've been down that path where I've been desperately wanting to be with a guy who was straight... I'm just trying to save you some pain (but I know how hard that it :frowning2: )

Keep us posted, good luck! :slight_smile:

12. ThatOneKid

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I was unsure how much detail I should put into the dialogue of this recount because I don't know... Kinda feels like this is wayyy into the personal zone but I'm just still so flustered I don't even know how to convey this whole thing without putting it all in >_> did that even make sense, omg.

Ok so I tried acting as least awkward as possible and I think i kinda failed.... and he was really quiet and had really short answers to everything I said. Neither of us brought the subject back up the whole time and then afterwards when we were waiting at the bus stop with no one else around and I was just staring off into space when he said "you asked me all of that sh*t on Friday because you're gay, aren't you."
    And I took a moment to mull it over and then said "I'm bi, yes."

At that point he burst into tears which made me freeze in utter shock because this guy does not do crying and after a moment he slowed his crying down enough to speak and was like "you had to bring that up NOW didn't you." I thought he was referring to the rough patch he'd just finished going through that he had handled extremely well tbh and was about to point out that this revelation wasn't going to worsen his life when he added "the icing on the cake would be if you liked me too." I didn't say anything and he got up suddenly and freaked out and was all like "Don't. Don't do all of this to me when I'm like this."
    "Like what?"
    And he was so deadly quiet with this look of pain on his face and said in a volume barely louder than a whisper: "Confused."
    His bus got there while I was still in the frozen state of what just happened, and he just climbed on without another word and the bus drove off and that was that.

So yeah.... I can't even think properly. I don't even think what he said has properly sunk in yet and this all happened almost three hours ago. I don't have a clue what to do now... What even happens now?

13. Pixelbro

Holy crap that's quite a story. I had a crush on my friend a while ago and I never had the balls to tell him I was gay. I forced myself to forget about him, but this makes me wonder what would've happened.

14. confused1234

Well, you have to talk to him. Preferably as soon as possible and in person. It's hard to say exactly what he meant by "confused," but taken in context, it seems like he might be questioning his sexuality. Whatever it is, he's struggling with SOMETHING. The only way to get through this is to have a conversation with him.

A few guidelines to follow when you guys do eventually talk:

Do not mention you like him. He seems to be in a very fragile state right now, and doing that would probably just make him more upset. Also, don't directly ask him if he is gay/bi. Again, that will probably just upset him. Focus on asking what he is feeling and if he's doing okay.

This is a bit ironic because you're the one seeking advice on this forum, but I think the conversation you guys have will probably end up being more about him. Just based on his reaction to you coming out, you seem to be in a much better place than he is. Be patient with him, and just be there for him as a friend. Good luck :slight_smile:.

15. TheSoleOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with confused1234,

There is a high chance he has a crush on you (yay :slight_smile:) but i suggest putting off your confession, as he is really weak. Just let time do its thing :slight_smile: !

Im so siked for you.

16. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well holy sh*t, that did not go as I expected. Usually the homophobic types either turn out to be A) Not really homophobic, but just kids being kids and being afraid of being labeled as "faggy" B) Actually homophobic C) Actually gay, but with tons of issues that take years to resolve. In this case however, it seems like maybe, just maybe, he's into you.

To avoid being hurt I would not immidiately assume he is gay or is into you, as keep in mind he hasn't said that. It sounds like he implied it, but you really have to clarify it.

As for what you should do: First off, DO NOT smother him. Don't spam him with questions, or interrogate him on his sexuality. Regardless of what he meant by what he said, it's pretty clear he has some issues of some sort, so you have to give him some space. Before you admit anything else or ask anything of him, I would just try to get him to agree to hangout alone, so you can chat. You have to be careful about how you do this, you don't want to make it like "We have to talk.", but you also don't want him to think you're trying to act based on what he said (i.e you don't want him to think you're trying to be alone with him for reasons other than talking... at least at this point). I would just say that you'd like to hang out and talk, because you really trust him. Obviously do this discretely, via text.

Once you've gotten some more time to talk, instead of starting by asking him what he meant, I would go back to talking about your own sexuality and coming out to him. By putting your trust in him by coming out, you'll invite his trust in you and he'll probably end up elaborating upon what he meant last time. If he doesn't, you can gently ask him.

If and when it comes to admitting you have a thing for him, I would do it along the lines of "I really care about you, you've always been there for me to talk to. To be honest, I kind of have a crush on you.". You want to make sure he'll see it as a positive thing, rather than a demand for anything.

Essentially, I would avoid directly asking him, and instead continue being open to him. If you're open to him, he'll probably reciprocate and be open to you. If you just ask him what he meant, he might shell up out of fear of social repercussions, or in the case he does like you, of painful rejection.

17. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, that's pretty intense! :eek:

To me it seems likely that he's had a crush on you for awhile and has been trying to convince himself that he's not gay. He's probably figured out that you like him and needs some time to come to terms with how he wants to handle that.

Basically, just be patient and supportive and wait for him to bring it up again. I think there's a good chance that he will. Good luck! :slight_smile:

18. Pixelbro

I'm growing up in a Christian family, so about a year or two ago I was really homophobic when I started developing a crush on my best friend. Like mbanema said, he's probably trying to convince himself that he's not gay. A gentle talk should help him to stop and think about the situation. Good luck. :thumbsup:

19. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, that's quite an extraordinary reaction :astonished:

Everyone has said some pretty useful things about what to do now.
    I'm not sure what it means. He seems very scared of the fact that you like. What he said doesn't really give any definite indication about how he feels. By confused, he may have meant that he is having some feelings for you, but he also might have meant something else like family difficulties... But it does sound quite a lot like he's had some feelings for the same sex... just don't get your hopes up, in fact don't even think about the possibility of being in a relationship with him yet because for now you need to focus on getting him to talk to you about what's bothering him.

Yes, you somehow need to get some time with him alone. Will you see him at school or something soon? Maybe it's best to give him a little space, but eventually you should ask him to do something like come to your house to hang out, or meet up somewhere or whatever. At some point, softly bring up what happened. You should definitely let him know that you're there for him and you really value his friendship. Tell him that, whatever it is that he's going through, he's going to be ok. Tell him that you weren't expecting him to react quite like that, but that you're worried about him and that you hope he's ok. Let him know that even though your orientation is the way it is, that he doesn't need to be scared about anything and that you will respect him. Then you could ask him if he wanted to talk about what he's been confused about, and tell him that it's ok and that whatever he tells you won't make you lose respect for him.

Just a few suggestions. But please make sure at some point you talk to him (I'm worried about him too now...)

Good luck and please post back with any news. (*hug*)

20. ThatOneKid

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I should have checked up on this before I went to school today, gee.....

Ok well, yeah I had school with him today. Basically what went down yesterday affected the whole group of friends because the rest of them quickly caught onto the aura of cautiousness from me and massive anti-socialness from him. Not much really happened. It was just a day of our friends feeling extremely awkward around us. One of them, the other one in the group whose close to him approached me after school, asking what was wrong with him and I left it as "it's complicated. Don't ask."

I'm aware I need to talk to him alone.... I never got a chance to bring up this point at school because I never got a moment without one if our friends or classmates being around and I didn't think to text him, but having read everything you guys said, I think I will give it a couple of days.. If he doesn't approach me first within the next couple of days then I'll bring it up and by that I mean I'll ask if he's ok, tell him he can talk to me..... I just don't want to make him feel pressured, but at the same time I don't want him to think I care so little that I'd pretend all of this hadn't happened.

Anyway thanks a bunch, all of you, your advice is really appreciated