1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out- 6 months later

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by bp88, Jan 27, 2014.

1. bp88

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I came out to my family and friends about 6 months ago, and have since relocated (not due to my coming out... was just ready for a change of scenery)

All in all, the situation was a LOT better than I ever could have hoped for. I haven't lost any friends, my family still loves me, and coming out has caused me to reexamine a lot of other things in myself than living in the closet hid from me.

The person I worried about telling most- my father... it was a rough conversation but we still talk and he still tells me he loves me almost daily. However, little to nothing has been said about my being gay since the night I told him... other than him stressing to me to keep my personal live private at my new job, a roundabout way of saying... for the love of god, stay in the closet. Of course, I half agree, its no ones business but my own, but I don't really worry about it anymore.

Like I said, he hasn't said anything else about it.. to me. He and my mother are divorced and not really on the best terms... a month or two after I came out, he called her and they talked about it. (and I was glad they did) and she told me he said a lot of things about me that angered her, such as how selfish I am and that no boyfriend of mine would ever be welcome in his house (neither of which really hurt or upset me) He said other things, that I refuse to let her tell me.

Last weekend, I went home for a couple days. I went to see him and during my visit he called a friend of his a homo as a joke. I'm not angry about it. It doesn't hurt my feelings at all.. it's just strange considering everything that has happened I guess.

Like I said earlier, coming out has caused me to see flaws and weaknesses in myself that I never noticed when I worked so hard to cover up what I once considered my biggest flaw. Yes, I'm a bit selfish. Yes, I haven't always considered the feelings of others. Yes, I could have tried harder in some relationships with family and step family members. at christmas, I wrote dad a long letter, and without ever using the terms "Came out" or "gay" I never denied the fact that I was, but knew the words were still hard for him to read. I acknowledged my wrong doing in the past, and let him know there were things in myself that I did need to work on. (selfishness, etc... never said I was working on curing my "gayness")

He said the letter was the best gift I could have gotten him and it was important for every person on this earth to continue to work on themselves and better themselves.
    The trouble is, with the way he acts around me, I think he thinks I'm working towards becoming straight, as if that were even possible. Nothing has been said to lead me believe that, but certain actions, and little nuances prove that it may be what he is thinking.

I really don't worry about it much. I live on my own and am doing my own thing now. I don't want to say anything about it.. I'm just kind of unsure as to how I should approach things with him as they happen in my life- naturally, I don't want to introduce every guy I date to him, but the day may come when things get serious- and I really don't want to go through him getting upset because he thought I was trying to cure myself.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You frequently are saying your father's words don't hurt your feelings and that you don't worry about it, but I have to wonder if the reason you've posted this is precisely because they really are affecting you, making you feel uncomfortable and nervous. Personally, I would take it harder if my dad said such things than if a random homophobe said them.

I think you should be more direct with your father, especially verbally disagreeing with him if he says something homophobic. You can't let him run over you like that, and you shouldn't feel like your personal life must be hidden to "spare" him the distress.

3. Nerkpoop78

I agree with resu. The reason that you're posting this is most probably because you're affected by it. It's normal. I would even feel offended. It is important that you know that you must let him know that being homophobic isn't right at all. You should also tell him honestly that you can't cure "gayness". It's kinda so that he doesn't cling onto that "hope". Anyways all the best and you know wer're all here for you if you need it.D