1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out as trans, now I have to be kept a secret

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by dixon, Jan 27, 2014.

1. dixon

Out Status:
    A few people
    My girlfriend comes from a very religious family. Her older siblings knew about our relationship when I still identified as female, but now that I identify as male and am taking steps toward hormones, surgery and a name change, she is keeping our relationship secret. First and foremost, I was already frustrated by the fact that she refused to tell her parents about me before but now I feel like she's downright ashamed of who I am. I understand that it's difficult to come out to your parents (I did it and I'm still trying to mend my relationship with them, but at least they know!) but I'm in a serious relationship with this woman. Perhaps I'm being impatient with her, but it's so incredibly hurtful when you feel like someone is too ashamed of you to even tell their friends and family about you.

I apologize for ranting, but I really have no one else to talk to this about. All of my friends say that it takes time, and it does, but it's been almost a year and I'm still being shoved in closets, hidden away like I'm a freak or something. We're both adults, at 23 and 22, so why are we still doing this?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it still shame if she is hiding it because she's worried her parents will hate YOU and by extension, her?

I guess it is in a way, but then it's hard as you said to be able to stand up to your parents and tell them you don't give a rats arse about what they think...Have you talked to her about this?