1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's All About Me/It's Not About Me

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Bear101, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Bear101

Because I haven't had enough stress in my life, figuring out my own sexuality, getting separated, moving out, not being able to find a job, etc, etc.

My daughter (14) tells me tonight that she's bi. I gave her a big hug and thanked her for telling me. I asked her if she had told her mom (my STBX). Nope. She and STBX have talked some about LGBTQ issues and STBX told her that she doesn't get people that are bi at all. So, of course, my kid hasn't told her yet.

I'm really, really worried about STBX and how she's going to react. And now, I need to plan on being a single-dad at a moment's notice.

For those of you with younger kids, any advice as to how to help her, would be greatly appreciated.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go tell your daughter she doesn't have to tell her mom until she's ready to do so, and when she does you are there for her, whatever that means.

If that means you try and explain to her mom that she doesn't have to understand being bi to accept it from her daughter, then I guess you do that, if it means just giving your daughter another hug and telling her how proud you are that she told her mom even though she wasn't sure how she would react, then do that.

As far as helping her goes, it really involves you being able to do the things she needs to cope with whatever happens...

3. Bear101

Thanks. I did talk to her this morning and recommended that she wait a couple of months before telling her mom. Basically, this was a pre-emptive thing. Because I'm staying with relatives right now, it would be hard (not impossible though) for her to move in with me. I'm hoping that in the next month or two, things will be in a position where if she needs or wants to come live with me, it will be easier to facilitate.