1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do people manage to be happy with their sexuality ?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Beware Of You, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

You hear about these gay guys and girls who are all happily married with people of the same sex and are all proud of who they are.

How do they do it, I honestly don't see that in my future, just uncertainty and loneliness :-( . My Parent's don't ask about who I am dating or anything since I came out its like they are ashamed but they don't want to admit it

2. Clay

What's there to be sad about? You are who you are, nothing will change that, no point in letting it get you down.

For me I just realised I was unhappy because I thought society would want me to be, but I wasn't actually unhappy with myself.

3. AaronMed

First of all, how long has it been since you came out? These things take time. It took many months for my dad to be comfortable with the fact that I'm gay. Now when I go out on dates he sees me to the door and tells me to have fun. :slight_smile:

I'm not going to pretend I'm always happy, because that would be an extreme hyperbole, but I'm happy with my sexuality. I struggled for years and years with it, but trust me, you eventually reach a point where you're okay with things. I'm at a point where I'm openly gay to everyone, and if someone doesn't like it, well that's just too bad for them, because love always wins. That probably sounds really cliché, but it's true.

There will always be people in this world who will hate on us. But we're strong and we stick together. And to be honest, I've been out for over half a year and I haven't experienced homophobia in person ever. The world is more progressive than you'd initially expect.

The funny thing about life is that things have a way of working themselves out. Just take ownership of your life and try your best to be happy.

Do you have personal issues with your identity, or is it more an issue with your parents?

4. AKTodd

Well, speaking just for myself it was a mix of positive and negative things.

On the positive side, I was raised to be true to myself above all things, including above the approval of everyone else, including (perhaps especially) my family. That someone has a blood or marriage relationship to me, or a friendship with me is of no real importance if they will not respect how I am and how I live. And if they won't - eh, easy come, easy go. There are seven billion people on the planet - I can always find other people to associate with.

On the negative side, I grew up going through a crapload of negative stuff ranging from being an outcast in school since I didn't like hunting, basketball, and snowmobiles to my dad being a emotional abuser and sexual molester, to my mom being institutionalized multiple times. I survived and powered through all of that and more in college and after (I have had the same care repo'ed twice:thumbsup:) and came out the other side. Against all that, liking sex with dudes (and sex with dudes is awesome!!) and some people not liking that, barely qualified as a speed bump.

Putting it all together, I've built a very nice life for myself, sometimes against some pretty strong headwinds - and I see no reason to be anything other than happy and proud about it. With very few exceptions, the opinions of other people, even family members, are simply of no importance.

Todd

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm happy because I've always been fine with gay people and my family and friends accept it. I'm happy to be myself. Plus I've always been the type who doesn't like fitting in with the crowd, so it's not like I worry about being seen as abnormal.

6. femmeinpink

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Honestly now I feel happier since I've realized I'm gay because I don't have to pretend to be someone I'm not or struggle with why I don't like guys. Even though I haven't come out to anyone in real life yet, I feel confident that eventually my family will accept me for who I am like they always have and hopefully yours will as well. Give it a few months and see if you're happier!

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I feel a lot happier being a lesbian and more confident , I remember I felt the same way you did back then I couldn't even imagine calling myself a lesbian but I'm happy because I was finally able to accept myself for who I am and not lie to myself all the time . I can finally admit to myself who I really am and not feel ashamed . I think in the future I might be one of those lesbians that is probably happily married to a wife .