1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College stresses are becoming real...help

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Chierro, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well...I'm not in college, a junior in high school actually, but stressing about college is becoming real and...gah!

I can't bring up anything that could be vaguely connected to college without my parents harassing me about where I want to go and what I want to do. Officially, to them, I don't know to either, but I have an idea. I have been considering the state school that is in the next town over, which is hated by like everyone because they all think it's a sucky school and blah, so like no one wants to go there, from around here at least. Hell, my Latin teacher who I have a great relationship with, even told me that I'm too good for the school. I've also been considering teaching in English, the irony is I love English but it's my worst grade.

I was talking with my friend Matt tonight and somehow that got brought up, I asked him if he knew where he wanted to go and he told me some of his ideas: Pitt, Vermont, Uconn, Temple, Drexel, Cornell, for pre-Med. Like way to make me feel mediocre. Like the only real...I guess you could say...prestigious (?) schools I was considering were Columbia in NYC and Arcadia in Philly. Even then, I'm not 100% sure on what I want to do with my life. Then it hit me...after high school I may never see or hear from Matt ever again. To me, that's a scary concept because he has been there for me since 8th grade, and I don't know what I'd do without him even partially in my life. I mean our friendship already occasionally seems like it can be weaning, which I don't like...hmm..

Those are only part of my worries, the whole idea of living with some random stranger scares me. I like dudes, I could live with some random homophobic dude who's my foil. I'm a socially awkward introverted person. 9/10 you throw me into a new situation, I stay to myself (work is the weird case where I am honestly a completely different person).

Help! I'm stressing and I'm a junior and I think I'm losing my friends and gah!...help, por favor?

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My best friend from high school is still my best friend. And I'm 26 and in grad school and haven't lived in the same city as him since we graduated high school, summer breaks notwithstanding. It takes a bit of work to maintain friendships after graduation, but it's worth it if the friend is a good enough friend.

3. Jwis

Yep I'm still best friends with the same guy since like 3rd grade. Like Biwinning said it takes some work to maintain the friendship but it's possible. Heck when you're a few years older and you meet up after not seeing each other for months it's awesome. You'll have so much more to talk about and stories to tell.

It's all part of friendships from your youth evolving into adult friendships.

4. Caleb93

First of all, don't worry about what other people think about your college decision. They may have some useful advice to offer, but ultimately you're the one going to college, not them. If wherever you decide to go turns out to be not what you thought it was, you can always transfer somewhere else.

Regarding your friend, if you're really good friends you can still stay in touch even if you go to different schools. Even going to the same school is not a guarantee that you'll be best friends forever. Sometimes people go to the same college as their friends but end up drifting apart due to different majors, making different sets of friends, etc. Ultimately it's up to the two of you to make the effort to keep your friendship strong.

And don't let yourself feel inferior to your friend because he's going to a "better" school or because of his major. Everybody is different. People have different interests, different abilities, and different personalities. In the economy there are needs for a variety of different people who specialize in different things. Whether you're studying to be a doctor or a plumber or a computer programmer, it doesn't matter. They're all jobs that need to be done and without people to do them our society would not work the way it does. Do what you're interested in and what makes you happy. Don't let the silly conceptions that people have of what makes you "successful" get in the way of your dreams. I'm sure your friend does not think he's better than you because he's planing on studying pre-med.

5. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You'll definitely lose touch with a lot of people you knew in high school, but if you're close friends with someone there's no reason you can't maintain that relationship. It's simply a matter of staying in touch.

As for getting a roommate, I agree that can be a scary prospect. You could end up with someone who annoys the hell out of you, or you could end up meeting your new best friend. Very hit or miss. I don't think this should be your deciding factor when choosing a school, but not all colleges require a roommate. I know my school had a ton of single rooms which I opted for.