1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Severely Conservative Parents

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by confusedandi, Jan 30, 2014.

1. confusedandi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I finally came to terms with the fact that I am bisexual and came out to my close friends today. I was so nervous but they all told me they were happy I trusted them and one of my guy friends even told me to nail a hottie :lol: my best friend didn't take it very well, she said she won't treat me any differently but hopes that I'm not actually bisexual. Whatever. My main problem lies with my parents. My mom has told me numerous times that being gay is a sin and that media is brainwashing kids into thinking it's okay. The one time I voiced my opinion that it is NOT a choice, she told me I'm not a Christian…which I am. Also, my dad makes very anti-gay, bigoted, homophobic comments all the time that really hurt, offend, and frustrate me. I want to share this great feeling of acceptance of myself with them but I know they'll just try to convince me that I'm not bisexual and get angry with me. I just don't know what to do. I want to be able to bring a girl home and brag about her or tell my parents about the cute girl in my dance class but for now it looks like that's nowhere near a possibility :icon_sad:

Any advice out there in the world of empty closets?

~Andi

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There isn't a whole lot I can say apart from flat-out ignore your parents, and when you are able to leave that house, leave.

It really sucks that your parents are...well, for lack of a better word, disgusting, in their views, but unless you plan on making your life considerably worse than it is by trying to change their minds while you live in their home then I would try not to mention it too much for now.

Having said that if you're feeling brave theirs nothing to stop you from trying to date the cute girl in your class as long as you accept that they will find out eventually so there isn't a hell of a lot of point of being overly secretive about it.

3. Clay

Pretty much what Ella said. Your parents with do everything to try to get you to go back in the closet, possibly even emotionally manipulate you, which can be stressful if you're under their roof. If you're going to college soon I'd wait until then before you tell them.

4. PurpleGrey

I know exactly how you feel. An unsupportive family can be emotional hell. The hard part for me is reconciling "mom is always right" with "there's nothing wrong with my sexuality". I'm thinking about having a debate from a purely logical standpoint. Not sure how it would turn out.

5. Clay

Mums aren't always right.

A more accurate life lesson would be "Your parents are just as messed up as you are".

6. confusedandi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you everyone :slight_smile: and yeah I've thought about having a "logical" conversation with my mom about it but I've quickly learned that actual logic and parental loci are two vastly different things haha. I have the same recoiling problem to, but I'm hoping that I can be content with the fact that my close friends still love and support me...that will have to be enough for now. Good luck purplegrey. On a sidenote is there any coping mechanisms for dealing with my dad's hurtful comments? Thanks :slight_smile:

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Homophobia is a lifestyle choice. It comes from ignorance and so is by definition illogical. Remember that even if your parents raised you, that doesn't mean anything they do should be considered right or wrong. Too often people put abusive parents on a pedestal as symbols of authority and what is acceptable. What you should do is find other people, friends or relatives, who are accepting/tolerant to act as surrogate role models. Friends are especially helpful because you have chosen them, unlike your family.