1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I feel about my gf's new job?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Drummergirl8, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Drummergirl8

So here's the deal, ill try to give alil back ground info. Me and my girlfriend had our two year anniversary yesterday. We are super in love but we live in different countries. I live in Texas and she lives in Ontario, Canada. We have gone to see each other many times and are actually planing to see each other in march. we can't stand being apart and we want to start living together but its not easy. I am in college still and live pay check to pay check. She already has her degree and is not as bad financially. So in all reality she is the only one who could move. But the only way that she could get a visa here is to get a job offer. Well her current job actually ends soon so she had been applying for a new one. Well she got one, yesterday. But it's not for the states, it there. Another 2 year contract job. I am happy for her, but at the same time this just makes me sad. That job would mean another 2 years apart. I don't know how many of y'all have been in a long distance relationship but it's hard, like really hard. I just don't know if we could handle another 2 years apart. So im confused about how I should feel about this. Be happy for her for getting the job, or being upset that she got the job? :icon_sad:

2. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's really a tough spot. You should be happy for her since at least she got another job, even though it would mean another two years apart. Did she accept it? If not she should tell them to give her a little time to think about it and in the meantime try to find a job near you. If she did accept it, it will give her an opportunity to save up money and for you to get where you need to be financially so you can both have a future together.

3. Drummergirl8

No she didn't accept it. They gave her till mid February. It's hard to find her a job here cause I don't really know what she wants/ want she can do. Its hard for the field shes in.

4. MissyT

Hi,
    I see now what you mean. I don't really know how I would feel about that, I mean I'd be happy for my girlfriend since jobs one hard to Come by but at the same time hurt since if it were me I'd be doing everything in my power to be with her.

5. have you spoken to her about it?
    like at length and told her what youve told us?

i know jobs are hard to find so she could be looking for another job to be at when she gets that job so she will have some money coming in she could look around for another job near you then take that job and leave her current one, but idk. have you ever been on holiday together or spent more than a few days togeethr?. if you go from only seeing each other once a month or once every few weeks, to every day its a bit of a shock to the system lol i would test the waters a little more, before moving in together. it is a big move. you both might want it, but what if you find out in the space of going on holiday togethr for 2 weks you just were at each others throats all the time. just a suggestion! :slight_smile:

6. Drummergirl8

flyinhernikes, no I haven't really talked to her about it very much. We do a little but its a very touchy subject to both of us. And we have been together four times and each time it has been 2-2 and a half weeks with each other. We know how we act around each other. And well see each other soon. My gf actually wants to move here and get her own place for a little while, then for me to move in with her.

MissyT, yeah now you see. I am both sad and happy i just not sure what to do. Theres only so much i can do from here.

7. MissyT

:/ I know how you feel. My girlfriend and I also find it a bit touchy when we talk about after our studies. With my career choice it's possible I'll have to travel and with hers she'll most likely need more schooling.