1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The guy I was dating suddenly did a 180 overnight

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by 4AllEternity, Feb 2, 2014.

1. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been on 4 dates with this guy I met off of a dating website. Before I continue, I'll clarify yes, I know dates originating from dating websites are often volatile and more often than not don't work out. He's not the first person I've dated for a bit from a dating website, but he was very different from the others.

First, he didn't seem to have any emotional baggage like a lot of the other guys I met off of the website. He's young (he's 18, I'm 19), upbeat and projected a really positive vibe during our dates and via texting. He's going to college, and I'm on a 1 year hiatus before University.

Secondly, during conversation on one of the later dates he mentioned he didn't use OKC a lot and that I was not only the first guy he's been with (romantically and physically). I'm pretty sure he was telling the truth, as there was no pressure to say otherwise, as I had mentioned that I'd been in a couple of relationships (and it was all discussed very positively, I made it clear that I was over my exes).

Thirdly, he was always the one to push the intimacy envelope. I've long since learned not to smother someone you've just started dating, so I avoid constantly bombarding the person with texts. He did the opposite, he frequently texted me, sent me pics of what he was up to, etc. I kinda liked the enthusiasm, myself.

Anyways, so we had a great date last Thursday, he had me meet his parents and I stayed over at his house! And when I left he was saying things like he "wanted to be in my arms forever", and such. I reciprocated the sappiness, but I by no means forced it.

Anyways, so fast forward to Saturday, he was unusually silent all day, didn't text me once. Whatevs, it was a little odd, but I wasn't freaking out about it. Same thing today, so I thought I'd send him a message seeing how he's doing and if he still had a ride to get to my place monday. He replies back that he's not able to visit Monday or the whole friggen week because of schoolwork. If he had been deluged in sufficient school work on Friday to fill up his whole following week, I think he'd have let me know then. So obviously he's just blowing off the date, but what completely throws me is why. It seems to me like he really invested himself in "us" working out, so it seems bizarre that he'd suddenly do a complete 180 and withdraw abruptly. It's not like I forced intimacy on him too quickly or anything.

Anyone have something similar happen to them, or have any perspective?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ". So obviously he's just blowing off the date, but what completely throws me is why."

I wonder, did you put that line in bold because you knew, deep down, this is what would come back at you in the responses?

You might be right, he might be blowing it off and being weird, or he might actually have loads of school work to do. Can you honestly say you've never forgotten you have work to do, or suddenly realised a task you thought would be easy would be a nightmare?

My point it, it's anything BUT obvious.

In either case, what do you intended to do about it?

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are on a one year hiatus from school; he is not. You need to respect people's work/school lives even if is an inconvenience for you. Moreover, you already had a date on Thursday. You frequently claim that you're not forcing things and not smothering, but it's not being reflected well in what I would term is an overreaction.

If he really likes you, he will make it up to you. Please be patient.

4. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heh, I put it in bold to help people slog through my often long, rambling posts. To be honest, I can't say I've ever had my entire week suddenly become completely filled with schoolwork over the space of a friday classes. The only time something like that happens is exams, and they're not until April.

Even if he is busy all of this week, I don't know why he wouldn't have told me when he would have found out on Friday, or even Saturday. He not only didn't do that, but he just abruptly stopped communicating until I texted him today. I'm not clingy, I don't expect every person I'm dating to check in with me 24/7, but he happened to set that pattern over the last 2 weeks. He always was keeping in contact, and when I established that he was a very extroverted person, I reciprocated it. If either had happened alone, I'd shrug it off, but abruptly not talking to me and blowing off a date he's known about for the last few days seems like a bad sign to me.

Now, I'm not trying to fight against myself here; I'd love for it to just be that he's busy. To be honest, I'm just looking for other people's similar experiences to help strengthen that optimism, because I really like this guy. He really inspires me to be my best.

I totally understand people being busy. And I should clarify I'm not just sitting on my ass, I work full-time. I have responsibility as a supervisor at my job. It takes up a lot of time, but I still find time to visit the people who are important to me. But when it comes down to it, I can accept that he might not be able to make that date. That's fine. What I'm concerned about is that the mechanics of our relationship abruptly changed overnight, or at least as I perceive them. In my experience, when a person suddenly stops communicating and flakes on a date, it usually is a major "slow-fade" sign. I'm more than willing to be wrong of course, that's why I'm talking to you guys, to get some neutral perspective, and I appreciate it :slight_smile:

#4 4AllEternity, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  5. Jared

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well then my original question still stands, what do you intended to DO about it?

If you're right, and he is just blowing off the date...do you find out WHY and try and fix it or just move on?

If you're wrong and he really was busy, do you go on like nothing happened, do you confront him with your feelings or do you go on and beat yourself up for thinking so low of him?

If you never find out which is true, what do you do then?

7. emkorora

emkorora Guest

Your feelings are acting on a lot of assumptions and predications. Never, ever, ever a wise plan. Each person studies differently. Do not put your study habits or how long it took you to do homework as a precedent for how others conduct theirs.

Furthermore, if you like this guy then there comes a time in every relationship when one needs to swallow their feelings. Would bringing it up cause a smile or frown? Hurt or help the relationship? If you can answer these questions, then you can proceed to the next: do you want to improve or reduce your time with him? From there, you can choose your course of action.

Yes he acted oddly. Yes, there might be an excuse behind it that he is not telling you. Yes, there might also be a legitimate school-related reason behind it.

8. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

9. Donnytello82

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most are trying to find justifications for him being busy and shit... If he made the plans or agreed with the plans to meet up Monday, it is HIS RESPONSIBILITY to let you know that he can no longer make it, not for you to find out yourself. It doesn't take more than a minute to send a text.

10. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well yeah, that part did irritate me. As far as it seems, he would have just been silent until Monday, since I heard nothing from him until I texted him at 5 today. The only reason I found out was because I asked. And this is why I'm so thrown, is that so far we've had great, open, communication. I would have expected him to just say he's busy, and give me a day he thinks he's not.

I'll give him the benefit of the of the doubt (maybe he was putting off cancelling because he assumed I'd be pissed or something, who knows) for now, but if the lack of communication keeps up things will be looking pretty bad.

11. AKTodd

Since no one has directly mentioned this...

It's possible that something has happened that has rocked his world and that he doesn't want to tell you about. Could be family drama, could be personal. Some people react to that kind of thing by withdrawing or may be so focused on the crisis they are dealing with that they just aren't thinking of anything else.

Give him some time. It's also possible to express concern in a supportive way that doesn't just focus on 'are you not into me anymore?'. Just asking if everything's all right and if there's anything you can help with can go a long way.

My 2c worth,

Todd

12. duende84

Yes, this past week... and then he ditched me on Sunday (last night). I really dont want to get you stressed up but it happens.

Everything seemed to go so well between us. We clicked on so many levels and agreed on so many points and all was great and then the akward silence started and from experience I knew something was going on. And not trying to say it might be so in your case.

Keep a level head, give him his space and when he is ready, talk.

13. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well he visited his Dad's this weekend, but he actually mentioned it was a positive experience. Apparently he and his step-mom had a convo and have patched some things up, so there's less tension there. Before you say it, I don't think it's anything to do with his being out. He's been out to everyone since 15, so I think it's been long enough for any drama to pop up.

But at the same time, it would certainly explain why he did a 180, since it makes more sense than him meeting someone else (which is still a possibility, but would be odd considering how much he invested in me and him, having me meet his mom and step-dad, and such. They didn't come off as the type to appreciate him dating around, I mean they subtly conveyed that I had to sleep on the couch, which I respected. But they really seemed to like me, so I don't think it has anything to do with them.

Yeah, I'm really hoping things will work out, but I'm getting a lot of bad signs. I mean, a part of me wants to ask what's up, even if I don't like the answer, but I feel like if I start digging it might come off as clingy. I'm so conflicted, I feel like he's giving signals that he needs space/has lost interest, but I feel like we built up momentum, and if we lose it, things will just fizzle. So I'm stuck in a "Should I reciprocate the silence/Should I reach out" loop.

14. duende84

Just keep light contact and then maybe at the end of the week drop the "hey, whats up?" message. Just ask in a kind way if he still feels the same.

15. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, woke up to a text from him saying "Can't wait to see you again :slight_smile:". This was after saying nothing for 2 days in a row. So obviously I was excited and said I might be able to do something in the city this weekend, which he got really excited about. Then he texted me saying he couldn't make that either because he had his Grandma's 75th birthday in Quebec, which I'm going to believe considering he seemed to want to see me.

So things are obviously a lot better than they originally seemed, but I'm still going to be cautious since regardless he definitely changed between Friday and now.

16. duende84

Thats great news! I am holding thumbs for you buddy :slight_smile:

17. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I think I may have an answer to his weird change in behavior. We've been messenging on and off for the last few days, and eventually today he ended up asking me whether we could slow things down and get to know each other better. I guessed that he was referring to sex, which we did jump into relatively quickly (second date), but that isn't unusual as I've found most of my gay dating experience has been that way (and I never push for sex, we just end up making out and it goes from there). Anyways, so I figured it would be best to simply ask what exactly he meant, so that I'd definitely be on the same page. His answer was that yes, he definitely wants to date me, but that he wants to slow down on the sex front. I guess I should have seen that coming, as he was a virgin (to everything, including kissing) when we met.

This most likely explains his change in behavior, he probably decided he wasn't comfortable with having sex yet, but didn't know how to broach the subject with me and ended up just avoiding me. I can definitely see that putting pressure on him, as we're still really getting to know each other, and he wouldn't know that I'm not super-needy in the sex department.

Anyways, so I'm definitely alright with that and told him that. I'm still not entirely sure if he's entirely ready to date (even though he says he wants to), so I'm not going to get my expectations high. I'm just going to do things as best I can and see what happens.