1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Parents Think It's Just a Fas

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TheQuietTreader, Feb 2, 2014.

1. TheQuietTreader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My Mom knew I liked a guy cause I didn't know she read my FB with a device she used and she confronted me about it about 6 months ago. She said it's probably just a phase and how god doesn't like gays. I then told her a couple days ago I was sure I was gay, since she still acted like nothing had occurred. The next day she told my Dad and they told me I might just be influenced by a "fad." I think they're delusional and just are using excuses to think that I'm just playing with my sexuality. Of course, I don't want to tell them they're delusional. It would be nice to have some advice on how to talk with them about it and what to expect. I always told myself I would be strong when I came out to my parents but I don't know what to do. They still think it's just a phase, and I can get out of it with God on my side. I'm so confused about my religion. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Claudette

Claudette Guest

(i'm sorry if I offend... I don't mean to!)
    No "God" would hate you for being you.. I was told a while back, that if your religion tells you to hate a certain group of people, you picked the wrong one.
    Translators of the bible.. way back when likely took a creative stroke when penning it.

The word being translated to "homosexual" in 1 Corithians 6, and 1 Timothy 1 is "arsenokoitai." This word does not appear in Greek writings prior to Paul's use of it in the NT. Paul made the word up!
    "Arsenokoitai" is made up of two parts: "arsen" means "man"; "koitai" means "beds." Literally translated "arsenokoitai" is a "male-bedder." It is interesting to note that during the time of Martin Luther, the word was universally translated as masturbators untill the 20th century.
    (Sorry I took Theology in college)
    Many christian churches are starting to accept LGBT members in their faith and clergy.
    For me.. "God" loves you, each and everyone of you! After all.. God doesn't make evil.. he made us in his/her image.. and being a great and powerful being that he/she is, God is bound to have many images...
    I like to think of the Christian God, as I would think of an Asura in my religion, it is a higher being, with many faces...
    Just remember... your God will accept you no matter what, it's your faith that is important... not your sexual orientation..
    As for your parents.. they don't seem to be outright hateful of you, maybe overtime they will come to accept you for you.

Again I am really sorry if I offended anybody! and I hope I helped!

3. sanguine

dw too much about it, my parents are still in denial about me, my dad doesnt even believe homosexuality is a thing and my mum just doesnt want to think about it let alone talk about it.

The thing ive taken out of the experience is that your parents are really just thinking the best of their child, even if that meant making sure that you arent gay (in a pretty twisted way)

I just continue with my life, ofcourse you may have to leave them in the dark about some things you do, but you've told them you're gay and they shouldnt be surprised when they come across something they shouldnt have.

4. TheQuietTreader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the philosophical talk Plenilune, I don't think you offended anyone (that matters)! Thanks for the personal anecdote sanguine it means a lot to know someone else has gone through something like this before.

5. datshifter

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know I'm kind of late with this thread but I think I'll put my two cents in.

I commend you for being strong as well as coming out to your family. I was 16 when I came out to my mom. She thought it was a phase and that I'll grow out of it. I'm 23 now and after seeing me with a ex bting she still holds on to me just going through a phase.

As for the religion thing. I was raised with it. Heck I even was in religious school from 2nd to my sophomore hear of high school. To anyone that tells you God dont like anything not straight you tell them that God made you just the way you are. Also God tells us not to judge or else judged as well as if they dont like what you are tell them to do as the good Lord says and turn the other cheek.

6. TheUglyBarnacle

My parents thought it was a phase when I came out, too. I'm pretty sure my father is still partly in denial about it.
    Despite them disbelieving me, I still acted the same way I would act if they believed me. I referted to myself as gay when the occasion called for it and I stopped faking interest in guys. I also never hid my interest in girls. This upset my mother a few times so at some point I sat her down and gave her a letter describing how hard it was for me to come out to myself and that I understand why she can't accept it yet. I put in some stuff about the world becoming more accepting and that my future as a queer person does not seem as bleak as she thinks.