1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I learn to accept my boyfriend's PSA's?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Beware Of You, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

So my boyfriend and I live in a safe part of Ireland (Dublin) where it is pretty safe to be gay apart from the time I was bashed but apart from that its been fine.

Anyway my boyfriend is far more confident in his sexual identity than me and he says he wants to "show his boyfriend off" so he wants to hold my hand, a quick peck etc. in public and he shows us off as a gay couple. (Well we are) but I am sometimes anxious about what people will think if they were to see two guys holding hards or kissing in public. I know 90% of people won't care but all it takes is a couple of hateful bigots.

But I want to be like him, I don't want to be scared of them, if I am scared of being seen as gay then the ones who beat me up the other day or bullied me in school have won. The people who have seen us always say we are a cute looking couple so I don't know whats wrong with me

2. UIOP

Nothing is wrong with you. It is natural to feel frightened about displaying same sex affection in public because it's just a scary thing to do when you know that people can see you. However, if you would like to do this in public, then I'd recommend telling your boyfriend that you are scared (or telling him pretty much what you've just told us) and then asking him to take things slowly. If you're scared, then maybe just a few kisses/hugs/whatever you want would be enough for a while. As you grow more confident, then you could gradually increase that to whatever level you feel comfortable with.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, he should be mindful of your feelings. There is a difference between showing love and showing off just to be boastful, which is tactless, not attractive, IMO.