1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family Problems

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by BryanM, Feb 3, 2014.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So let's flash back to June of last year. I was at my grandmother's house mowing. Keep in mind, my grandmother is now 80 (was 79) and has been independent for 34 years after her husband died from a heart attack at one of my dad's basketball games. So I was at the back of the house mowing with headphones in, and she was at the front of the house on a ladder trying to get a limb out of a tree. As soon as I come around the house, she fell off the ladder, and I ran over to her and called 911. She had an open fracture of her tibia and fibula, and bones were sticking out. I almost threw up right then and there. She was airlifted to the hospital, and they worked on her leg, and said everything would be fine in a few months, and she'd be walking again by October.

They were partially right, she was walking by October, but she also had a bone infection in her leg, so they had to do everything over again, and is back at step one. Her leg is now in some sort of odd contraption that keeps it stable, and she can't walk for another three months. Her eyes also started hurting, so they gave her medication that would help, but it backfired, and now they have to operate on her eyes or else she'll have a stroke or be blind for the rest of her life. They may also have to amputate her lower leg now.

Now I talked to her on the phone today as she stays at her daughter's house an hour away, and she almost cried on the phone, so I had to cheer her up, so we started talking about baseball, and I got a few laughs out of her. After that, my mom said that earlier today her son called her to say that she said she was going to die and was crying and all this, and that I'm the only person who listens to her, and the only one who makes her happy, and it's on me to get her back. And it made me think, why is it fair that I'm the only one who can help her? How come the rest of her family can't seem to do anything? All they do is bicker at each other and don't even fucking listen to her or what SHE wants. I feel like they should be trying to help more. I know this is a lot of stress for them, but I feel like they're not doing enough to try to talk to her and make her feel better. She went from 170 pounds to 110 because she won't eat, and they try to force feed her. I know she needs to eat, but force feeding her isn't the way to get her to eat. I feel like I'm the only one doing anything to try to help her get better emotionally, and I feel if something bad does happen to her, I'm going to get blamed for it. I don't even know if I would be able to handle having something bad happen to her.

I need some advice or some encouragement, because I'm not sure how much more I can even handle. I wanted to just break down crying because she almost did on the phone today.

:tears::tears::tears:

2. Moogie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel so sorry for what you are going through. It's great that you are able to cheer up your grandmother and just be there for her in this hard time. Be brave. You can help her when she needs it most and that is just wonderful of you to do so. I hope you will stay strong (*hug*)