1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to my Best Friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by TheSoleOne, Feb 4, 2014.

1. TheSoleOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ive known my best friend for a good solid 5 years, and he opens up to me a lot. He crackd homophobic jokes and says that he doesnt hate gay people if they dont flirt with him x).

Anyways ive been thinking lately, if i should come out to him. I trust him and all but i dont know if i should... If so how should I come out to him...

Im so confused and I need the most support & someone I can talk to the most to tell. He has told me all hisfamily problems and his own problems whether it be with girls or anything. But im not sure how he will react...

Advice?

2. Xaviero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can relate to that, I don't feel like I can tell anyone either. Maybe one day my best friend but I am worried that my parents will find out somehow.

3. hippo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am 22 and I am not out to anyone (well my closest friend kind of knows), and I don't think it will happen anytime soon. I have no need to do it right now and I also know that I'm not ready. I mean like a year ago I had feelings for girls so I guess I'm still figuring things out. But if you decide to do it, best of luck to you! I am pretty sure he will be supportive because it seems like you guys are very close and can trust each other. Let me please know how it goes :slight_smile:

4. TheSoleOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's told me some deep stuff and personal stuff, i trust him a lot. I dont like him, but I feel like he deserves the right to know. Is there any more suggestions? Like how should I tell him? Via text or in person? If any what should I say?

5. hippo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Definitely not via text! :bang:

6. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have personally come out via text to my friends. If he's your best friend, I would tell him, especially if you trust him.

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you can't come out to your best friend, then who can you come out to? :wink:

There are no guarantees, but chances are that if you have been friends for so long, he is going to realize you're still the same person he knew before. Now, that doesn't mean he won't go through the multiple stages of grief some people have when someone close comes out to them, but he should get over it.

8. okthen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can relate. When I came out to my boyfriend, I was scared as hell. Even though I came out to him via IM, I think telling someone in person would be the best way to go. (The only reason I came out to him via IM is because we only saw each other at school and I didn't want anyone to overhear us so...)

9. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would tell him:
    "Hey, there's something that's been bothering me that I wanted to talk about with you. Is it alright if we talk alone sometime?"
    Then when you do get to talk to him alone:
    "I don't want this to change anything, but I just wanted to let you know that I think I'm bisexual... and I've kind of been struggling a bit with it and wanted your support"

I think he'll take it quite well :slight_smile:. Reassure him that you don't like him if you need to.

Good luck!

10. TheSoleOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're the best. Literally. :slight_smile:.

11. TheSoleOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did it! Turned out he is bi too. Guess that is what makes us best friends?

12. Sotv

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well if your best mates he's likely to accept you. I came out to oneof my friends who goes to EDL(English defence league) marches and says we should "gas the gays" but I thought it was only fair to come out to him. So I told him in person and after a silence he said "don't tell people at school, I don't want to batter someone fr making fun of my friend"...the point is if he can change his view just like that I would like to think your friend could to :slight_smile:
    Best of luck!

---------- Post added 21st Feb 2014 at 02:12 AM ----------

Sorry just read your last post:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: great news!

13. hippo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Proud of you! Good job!
    Didn't expect him to be bi, but it's even better. What was his response to all of this? How did your conversation go? I am just interested to know in case I have to do the same thing one day.

(*hug*)

14. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  15. TheSoleOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He said "I think Im bi or maybe curious". Now he is saying he has no idea what he was saying because he was high (his gf broke up with him :/). Either way its not awkward at all between us. Anyways I told him "You've been an awesome friend and I feel honored to have an awesome friend like you. (his name), Im bisexual and I hope you accept me for who i am not for what I am." he then said "hahaha you are still my bitch. We are crazy monkey fighting partners for life". He then told me that he was confused. But honestly im sure he's straight. Maybe he was just depressed for what happened to him, irm.