1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's amazing what people say when they think you can't hear them

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by josh9623, Feb 4, 2014.

1. josh9623

and by people, I mean my mother. I just overheard a phone call between my mother and grandmother (my mom always uses speakerphone) I heard myself come up in conversation. I decided to pay attention and found out that my mom pretty much thinks I am a failure, not going to get into college, don't do anything, etc. she even brought up that I don't have a job.

I am fairly introverted with pretty severe social anxiety, and as a result I don't get out much (not that there is anything to do anyway).

I spend most of my time trying to distract myself from the present until I can get out of here.

I haven't been able to really trust my mother since I came out, and so I don't feel comfortable talking about anything with her, and while I did have a therapist I stopped going pretty soon after I started because she was flipping back and forth between different issues and just making my anxiety worse.

the one thing that helped was when I went to a couple of the youth meetings at the LGBT center but I stopped because I couldn't afford the gas to get there and my parents wouldn't help me pay for it.

I feel like I should be going to a therapist of some kind, but I don't know how to talk about it especially since I don't trust my mother and I don't feel comfortable talking to my father about it.

Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated

2. Butterfly16

Butterfly16 Guest

Ohhh I can kinda relate, not really, but I know how it feels when somebody talk to somebody about you think7ng you cant hear but you do. Grandma did it with my aunt. Ugh

3. Arrow Ace

I sort of know what you're talking about. My drama teacher was talking crap about me in the staff room xD So it's true teachers talking squat about the kids they teach!
    It suck s how the thing that helped you is the thing that you can't afford to get to! Maybe the group has a job for you that involves manning one of the phones at the center? I've never had a job as I'm too young so I don't really know what I can suggest that would be considerd helpful, sorry.