1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i think my dad knows

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ashleyghall15, Feb 4, 2014.

1. So, a little while ago my sister heard I was lesbian (she hasn't mentioned anything but im pretty sure she knows) and now my dad is acting weird. On Saturday (i think) we had a long conversation and he kept saying things along the lines of "You can tell me anything, I love you, and I'll keep an open mind about anything" and Texted me "I hope we established a trusting relationship and I hope you feel comfortable telling me anything". It would be a big relief knowing he accepts me and doesnt think of me differently, but i'm not sure if he really knows. What do you guys think?

2. Clay

Sounds like he knows.

What's stopping you telling him now?

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My dad told me stuff like that when he was drunk , I 'm not ready yet to come out to my dad either .

4. UK_guy

It sounds like to me he knows, I felt relieved when I came out to my parents but it depends on if you feel ready.

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like he knows. I think oftentimes parents know earlier than we think. My mother was one of the first people I came out to. Back story to understand what happened--I had had a roommate in college named Caesar whose parents disowned him when he came out. As far as I know they never spoke to him again, withdrew their support and he almost had to drop out of college. Any way back to my mother. After I got through all the I have something to tell you, it's going to be difficult etc. etc. I just couldn't do it. I broke down and just couldn't bring myself to tell her. After telling me it was alright, I could tell her anything etc. etc. I still just couldn't do it. Finally she took may face in her hands, looked me straight in the eyes and said "you know we would never do what Caesar's parents did--NOW WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO TELL ME?" And I did. And a whole new life started. Don't do it until your ready, but knowing that your father is ready should make it easier...

6. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It definitely seems like he knows, but even if he doesn't that he'll be loving and supportive. You have a great opportunity here -- take it! :slight_smile:

7. Silver Sparrow

It does sound like he knows, but don't worry if you aren't ready to tell him yet. My dad at least figured it out, I think, a little less than a year ago. Soooo, yeah. Moral of the story: come out for you, on your own time, at your own pace.