1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the definition of a gay relationship?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by squally89, Feb 5, 2014.

1. squally89

Hello friends,

So I been thinking, why does straight people have the tendency to think that gay people do not want long term relationship? Every time I talk to my straight colleagues at work, she would ask me "hey you seeing anyone?" and after I reply with "No" she would assume and say "Right your not into that". Yes we can assume her knowledge on gay culture is limited, uneducated etc etc etc, but perhaps the media or the general population of us are giving off that vibe to our heterosexual counterparts that we don't tend to want to be in a relationship.

I want to explore why that is so by pointing out that heterosexual have a "traditional road map" - boy meets girl or vice versa, gets married, and have kids = family. I know that we have fought hard for gay rights and in Canada we have equal rights to marry and adopt kids, but there really isn't a "traditional road map" for us, could that be the reason why male partnership do not tend to well...stick?

Don't get me wrong, I know plenty of gay couples out there that are in LTR, but statistically speaking the single market still dominates the field. Are gay relationships harder to form?

2. AKTodd

Since gay men are a minority of the population, it can be harder to meet people and therefore take longer to find 'the one'. Also, since we can't produce children by accident (have read that up to 50% of all pregnancies in the US are unplanned), there may not be as many ties to keep people together even if they don't really want to be. Note also that straight divorce rates have gone as high as 50%, so it may just take their relationships longer to break up than ours.

I've also heard it suggested that straight men don't sleep around as much because straight women won't let them (although I suspect there is a large element of straights simply refusing to acknowledge their own behavior in that). Straight culture glorifies hooking up and promiscuity while simultaneously saying that there is this ideal of marriage and kids and such. Gay culture doesn't seem to have evolved that sort of double standard yet (and hopefully won't).

As far as assuming that we're not 'into' relationships - it seems to be a fairly common cultural trope to assume that a given minority is sexually rapacious and/or not into monogamy or the like. IIRC similar things have been said about black men, the Irish, and various others (often immigrants) over the last century or so. In our case, it probably doesn't help that the big difference is sexual in nature. Although again note that straights have a lot of sex outside of relationships, and glorify this on a nearly constant basis to such a degree that most folks just stop realizing it's there. However, they also tend to refuse to acknowledge it or make excuses for it or just take it for granted.

My 2c worth,

Todd