1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How is your relationship with your parents?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by puppy1000, Feb 8, 2014.

1. puppy1000

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    #1 puppy1000, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. hailey

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I don't have one with mine,they cut me off totally after coming out.Told me they are not in my life anymore 4 years ago and not to come back

3. IJustWantToLove

Sorry to hear that you're not close with your parents, puppy1000. And it's sad that your parents let you down hailey =(
    The video made me cry... =/

I'm actually pretty close with my family and grateful for that. Even though I kinda moved out when I started University, I still go home like every weekend and spend most of my vacations at home. And when I'm away I phone my mum like every 2nd day or something... And I'm still pretty dependend on them, wouldn't know how to cope with everything without them...

4. the start reminds me of my parents and me. im not always going out but when i do i go away from home and my parents are like no please dont haha. so im the one getting in the car and going away while they are like no dont leaaaave. haha.

but i dont really have a good one with my mum and i never see my dad. so its a bit rocky.
    my mum doesnt undersatand that even though i live with her my life as an adult is diff than when i was a teenager. some things as an adult you just dont tell your parents, well a lot of it really. she doesnt need to know when im getting a haircut, she doesnt need to know it was the first day of my period again today, i dont think she realises that i have grown up haha as an adult you just dont tell your parents that stuff anymore. well i try to keep it quiet anyway becuase she always want to know everything and i want to keep some stuff to myself without having to tell her what im up to, sound stupid but im not an open book like i used to be as a kid willing to tell the ins and out of what ive been up too.

my parents dont support me in anything i do either, so in short its rocky.
    but the love underneath is there.

5. Lovely

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If I was Chinese and my father did that, I'd be screwed. I haven't seen him in years and I don't plan on ever allowing him back into my life after the horrible things he did to me throughout the years (not that he would even care enough to sue me - he has never shown any interest in being a father figure to me). He scarred me for life during my childhood with his abuse and I've long since learned that some people will never change, no matter how much you wanted them to at some point.

My mother is much the same, although I still have contact with her. We never had any kind of mother-daughter-bond because she was never there and when she was, all she did was take out her anger on me and blame me for every pathetic issue in her life even when I was a little kid and it really wasn't my fault. I'd honestly rather she would have given me up for adoption, but what's done is done and I will never ever make the devastating mistakes she has made and continues to make.

I'd prefer not to have any kind of relationship with my parents. In time, I want them both out of my life for good. I don't want them to be grandparents to my children in the future because they were never parents to me either. I got over that long ago, but I don't want them in mine or my future family's life. They've done nothing to deserve that. I don't care if people judge me for this, they haven't lived through it. The person who is supposed to take care of you abandoning you and abusing you over and over from a young age really makes you grow up faster than others, it kind of steals your childhood away from you. I never want my children to have to go through that, or anyone else for that matter.

#5 Lovely, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  6. GayDadStr8Marig

I sold mu soul to my parents after I came out. basically paid me off with tuition to go back into the closet. played the game for 22 years til mom died a year ago. I'm done since then. Dad has never called so I guess I'm off the hook after all. Now to unlock the closet door and try to salvage relationship with wife and kids.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Terrible with my mom but it was good with my birth dad and my step dad . My dad died when I was 14 so my mom remarried .

8. BlueLines

Well my relationship with my parents for the most part is nearly non-existent, just going through the motions. But a relationship is hallow without trust and respect...

9. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I consider myself to have a pretty good relationship with my parents. I don't have any complaints about my dad... if anything, I come to him more than I come to my mom about problems and such. My relationship with my mom is a little bit rocky. We fight pretty often, and I've screamed at her more than any other person on the planet. She doesn't really pay attention about anything going on in my life, and only acts like she cares every now and then.

10. MissyT

It's ok with my mom and I haven't seen or heard from my father in 2 or 3 years

11. emkorora

emkorora Guest

My mom are like oil and water but we love each other. Haven't spoken to my father in 7 years due to reasons completely unrelated to sexuality.

12. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a great relationship with my Dad, he is my rock.

My Mom passed away on January 21, of 2013, so just over a year ago. We did not have the best relationship, but we still loved each others. I miss her more than anything, and I would give anything to just see just one more time.

13. GayDadStr8Marig

Very sorry to hear that, I lost my mom within a few days of that. I do miss my mom, but I missed her for a very long time before her cancer and other illnesses took her life. I wish there had been a way for both of us to get beyond the scars of the past. I used to wonder if I had tried harder, but it never seemed to matter, there was very little follow-through from them.

Hold onto your dad; too often dad's don't get enough credit for their role in their childrens lives.

Richard

14. Blondeye

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome!!!

15. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My parents are both awesome people and we get along pretty well (even better since I've moved out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). I can't imagine what life would be like without them.

With that said, we're just not good at talking to each other about anything personal, me in particular. The biggest reason I haven't come out isn't fear (although I know they'll at the very least be disappointed which I think is understandable), but that it would be such an awkward conversation and so out of the norm for us. It would be almost as difficult to tell them I have a girlfriend as it would a boyfriend, which I know sounds incredibly weird. It is what it is I guess.

16. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry Richard. The pain from losing a parent is just horrible, it really is. I have felt the same way about trying to get past the scars of our past. My parents got divorced 10 years ago, but my Mom was somewhat absent before that anyways. My Mom had a lot of health problems and it got to the point where she was addicted to her pain medicine. There were times when I wouldn't talk with her because I was so hurt and so sad over everything that happened, and what was said. I regret having to do that, but at the time I didn't see anything other option. I wish there as something else that I could have done, but that time I did not know what to do.

Dad's do not get enough credit, that is definitely true. I love my Dad more than anything, I do not know what I will do without him. He is everything to me. I'm sorry I can't talk about this. I do not want to think about life without him, it is too much. Especially after just losing my Mom, and three other family members in the last year.

17. lovely lesbian

My relationship with my parents is good my mum knows I'm gay my dad doesn't which I feel really bad about but I will tell him soon x

18. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    I haven't come out to my parents yet, but they know something's wrong. They don't really mention it much, but one time I mentioned that I don't really feel welcome anymore and now the're just worried. I suppose I'm overly paranoid, which is leading me to be a jerk. That being said, they are quite religious, so I don't think it's entirely unjustified. I feel bad about being so mysterious though :frowning2:

---------- Post added 10th Feb 2014 at 04:14 PM ----------

On another note, interesting that the worse relationship usually seems to be with the same-sex parent.

19. DrkRayne

Not good with my mother, but really good with my dad :slight_smile:

20. wouldyoukindly

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I never had my dad in my life. I only met him once when I was fifteen and it wasn't all that special; I wasn't missing anything. :lol: But my mom - my mom is just amazing. She's always got my back and is super supportive in everything I do.

I haven't said anything about how I've been feeling lately, but if I did, I know she'd be totally cool with it. I'm lucky to have a mother like her.