1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I fall out of love with my best friend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by evora, Feb 10, 2014.

1. evora

Please don't say 'typical straight crush' because it's not. She's my best friend. I love her as a person and I don't want to have these feelings. How do I stop them? I have the majority of my classes with her and it's getting unbearable seeing her.

I want to be her friend not her lover, she doesn't want that from me. I'm already her friend but I don't want to ruin everything with not being able to let it go. I can't just sit elsewhere..she likes me too, just not like that.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! While it could become a bit difficult in moving on from the feelings that you are having for your friend, you can still distance yourself by spending less time with her outside of the classes. Try to spend more time with other friends, or perhaps even try to make some new friends. Having something that you can look forward to (such as meeting up with somebody who could become a new friend down the road) will allow your thoughts to shift, to concentrate on that for a while.

I would also suggest that you place everything that reminds you of her (which you might have lying around in your room) in a box for the time being, thus removing some of the 'triggers' for the thoughts or feelings for her.

You might also need to say to her that you need some distance for a while so to cut down the amount of time that you see her. Given what you have mentioned in your post, I assume that she already knows how you feel about her, she probably would understand if you were to ask her for it.