1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice About My Muim Outing Me To My Dad

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ZenMusic, Feb 10, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

Ok so today my dad came up to me and asked if anything was going on at school, I kept telling him no. I came down for dinner and the first thing my mum tells me is that she told him, and that he did not take kindly to this. I said that I should have been the one to tell him, and then she said " Why do I get the feeling you're so fucking ungrateful? You were the one who was complaining about always pretending and lying to him, yet you're complaining when I finally told him the truth. " But I feel like that was MY truth to tell. So should I feel bad for telling my mum it was my responsibility to tell him. Please answer soon.

2. ScaredAndScarre

It hurts when a family member betrays you. My mother has told so many people I can't even keep count. I told her not to tell anyone, but she opened her mouth and did so.

I still love her so much though. Yes I'm mad when I think about it, but I can't stop loving her. But it's okay to be mad.

3. Clay

You shouldn't feel bad, you didn't do anything wrong. Also just to mention you shouldn't look at it like you were lying to him, instead you were hiding from him.

Anyway your best option now would be to talk to your dad I'd say. Bring up that it was you that wanted to tell him, you were just afraid to.

4. ZenMusic

It's just the fact that I don't know what's going to happen now. And she may have made life worse for me.

5. Clay

The best way to figure that out is to talk to your dad now.

6. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

Your mother really had no right to tell your father without explicit consent. Your father is definitely not helping the situation either, or your mother being upset at you for her mistake let's say.

Your father may just be coming to terms with the whole idea, no parent ever thinks their son/daughter will be one of them. He might also be worried for your future as people understand how being LGBT can be difficult. Whatever it is, just try to work out the situation.

7. ZenMusic

My dad is from Nigeria so he probably doesn't like the idea of it at all.

---------- Post added 10th Feb 2014 at 12:52 PM ----------

He doesn't seem to care...for now.