1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight best friend ended our friendship because of my feelings for her

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Spirit, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Spirit

I met S last spring, and we became very close friends. I fell for her over the summer, despite knowing she was straight from the beginning. She told me that she had questioned her sexuality, and just because of things S did, I thought I might have a chance. IE- flirting, snuggling me. This kept happening after I came out to her. I kept telling myself that I had a chance, and after a while, I believed it. Starting in August, we'd get into these fights over stupid really things, like the fact that she's older than me, or the fact that I like someone who's zodiac sign is not compatible with mine. These happened about every other month, and it turned into a pretty bad cycle. But despite that, she was one of the best friends I've ever had. I've never met someone who seemed to 'get' me the way she did. We'd stay up until midnight texting every other night.

Sometime in December, I mentioned in a conversation that I had a crush on a straight girl. Whenever 'she' came up, I'd never say a name or other details. But what S didn't know is that I was talking about her. I was talking about S TO S. She started getting really curious about who it was, but I was always able to deflect the questions. On the 23rd, she came over to my house, and it was a pretty normal visit. We started talking about our crushes, and the unnamed straight girl came up again. S really wanted to know, and she talked me into playing 20 questions, to see if she could guess.

She did. We talked about it a little bit. She told me not to be sorry after I apologized, and she reluctantly said 'yes' when I asked if I had fucked things up. She told me that she would give me time to think, and that we should take a break. I didn't talk to her for about three weeks. All I learned was that my feelings for her went beyond 'like'. One day, she tracked me down in the hallway to tell me how mad she was at me. I was really upset and went to talk to her after school the next day. The talk went really well. We agreed that wanted to stay friends with each other, and that we had something worth. S even said that it took "Massive lady balls" to tell her. In the 15 minutes that I talked to her, it felt just like it had before she had found out. I've never been so relieved and happy in my life. And it really seemed like we could make it work.

Things were rough. We didn't text much, and she didn't talk to me in the lunch line. One of our last conversations drifted to our respective unrequited feelings. And as she talked about a stupid boy, I couldn't help but think, "Why the fuck is she talking to me about this? She knows that everything I'm going to have to say is going to be about her." It was over about two days later. She walked up to me in the lunch line, and told me that she couldn't do it anymore, that it was just too weird. S tried to walk away like nothing had happened. Stunned I asked her, "So, that's it? We're done?" She said yes. I walked away, and into the empty music wing. I slumped against a wall and well... I started sobbing uncontrollably. I felt so broken. I sat there until the theater teacher, Mrs. H, heard me, and took me into her office. Mrs. H knows both of us, and she said that she's going to try to get S and I in a room together to talk it out. This has yet to happen.

That day was almost a month ago, and I'm feeling better but not great. Almost every minute of the day, some memory of her is playing in my head, and I can't get it to stop. I miss S so much it hurts. The whole thing still has me feeling emotionally numb. She was an enormous part of my life, and now part of me feels empty. Unfortunately, this isn't the first time I've ever lost a best friend, but this has hurt me so much more than any of them combined. In a way, I feel like I'm still waiting for the good part of the cycle to roll around again. But I'm trying to move on, I really am. I just feel like I need some kind of closure.

Has anyone else ever gone through anything like this? If anyone has, I'd love to hear stories of how you got through this time. I know its been a month, but it still feels raw, and unfamiliar. Thank you so much for reading this, even when I slipped into narrative!

:help:

#1 Spirit, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm sorry. That's upsetting to even read.

Maybe she still will come around. It seems as if she tried, despite the fact that she was uncomfortable with it, to still hang with you. She told you not to apologize for your feelings. So, I think that shows that she doesn't resent you for it. Nor did she actually want to "unfriend" you for it. I think that holds some meaning. It may just be too awkward for her being around you knowing that you feel some way towards her.

Hopefully time will allow her to come around. I'm glad you're feeling a little better now, though. Things will get better.

3. wanderinggirl

I'm sorry this situation didn't go more favorably for you. Maybe she just needs time and she'll come around to being friends with you again. Try to see it from her perspective: sometimes it's hard for someone to hear that someone else likes them, as if they were only friends in the hopes of getting in their pants. Obviously that's not the case, but maybe she felt betrayed or guilty about the nature of your friendship.

Either way I hope she comes around and is more understanding of your situation. Time heals most wounds; it's only been a month, be patient with yourself. She sounds like a special person in your life, but there will be others. I wish you luck with the healing process.

4. ThePhoenix

That's sad to hear and I'm sorry that happened and you really never know what is going through someones mind and maybe she just needs sometime only time will tell but I say try and get past it give her time and she comes around great if not then you'll find an even better friend. I myself have had an experience like this but on the other side and to be honest it is strange and does make things a little awkward but if you truly care for the person like I did you get over it sure there are still some strange moments but I was willing to deal with it everyone needs one good friend, but that was my experience and mindset hers could be different. Hope this helps even if a little. I say this as well if you ever need someone to talk to you I'm here I extend that invite to anyone here and everywhere else.

~Ash

5. Spirit

Thanks for all of the responses.

I should probably be giving her a little more credit for actually giving a shot, that must've been hard. I do realize that she could've easily given up without trying. And instead of apologizing for my feelings, I was saying sorry for not being honest about who I was talking about. She was actually pretty nice about it when she found out, I expected it to go a lot worse than it did. But at the same time, I really feel like she was giving it a real half-assed try. Yeah, I got that things wouldn't instantly go back to normal, but she could've tried a little harder. And I feel like she could've actually sat down and talked with me about not being able to stay friends, instead of just dumping it on me out of the blue.

I've been thinking, though. That if by some miracle, she came back, would I even want to be friends with her? Despite being unbelieveably awesome, she was a pretty terrible friend sometimes. The arguments with S got to be so cyclical that my mom called it emotionally abusive. But you're all right, it has only been a month, so if she still might come back. But it seems pretty unlikely.

One thing that I don't think got through in my first post. If Mrs. H does talk to S like she said she would, I might actually be able to talk to S about all of this in a controlled environment. I think that might be a good thing for me, since what I need the most right now is closure.

6. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I can't really place myself in her shoes, but do you think she might have had the same reaction had you been guy that was crushing on her? Just wondering if she was weirded out a bit because you are a girl, or just because of the crush.

I must say, I am a bit confused about your relationship with her. She was a great and terrible friend at the same time? Just a little hard to imagine. If she really was emotionally abusive like your mom said, you may be better off. Maybe she really just wasn't a good friend, but because you had feelings for her, you kind of weren't as put off by the terrible friend part.

7. ThePhoenix

If she was as abusive as your mother says than that doesn't sound like a good friend or relationship that you need or deserve, and I wouldn't worry about her. I have had an experience in a similar nature of her perspective,but the way you describe her she doesn't seem to understand you as much as you thought and maybe a one on one talk in a safe private environment will clear things up. No mater what happens don't blame yourself.

8. Spirit

Being completely honest, I think she was more borderline abusive. Mostly in that I don't think she really expressly set out to hurt me. Not that I'm excusing or defending her behavior.

And Tectonic, I can understand your confusion. She's always been kind of hard to define. The nursury rhyme with the line, "When she was good, she was good. And when she was bad, she was horrid.", reminds me of her. Basically there didn't seem to be much of a middle ground with her. Either we were insanely happy or fighting over nothing. I think my feelings for her were blinding me to truly seeing her faults, just like you said.

Not blaming myself for this has been really, really hard. I feel like this could so easily have been avoided if I had done things differently. Like not making up a straight girl. Or saying "No" to her asking to play 20 questions. It's not just memories of her playing in my head constantly, I see the way things could've gone differently.

9. ThePhoenix

People who can be that extreme of a switch of emotions aren't people you need in your life and this is coming from personal experience. You may love them as much as humanly possible but they only make your life more difficult. Good luck with whatever happens.

10. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I agree with ThePhoenix. My opinion is that you don't need any abusive person in your life, even if they can revert back to being nice sometimes. Bipolar?

You're already beginning to move on and starting to feel better. You should keep it going until you feel great!

11. Treasury

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This was very upsetting to read, but my opinion is to

Pain is weakness leaving the body. It'll hurt but there is always something better out there, and you'll not be one step closer to finding it if you're still aching after S for a long time.

I'm in a similar situation similar to yours, crushing on a friend you see regularly is painful. I'm even more scared if I reveal it to them.

Cheer up!