1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changed my younger brother's views on homosexuality!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Im Just Me, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Im Just Me

I'm really excited about this, and just had to talk about it.

My brother has always thought gay marriage should be equal, simply because it's human rights and he believes two people in love should be able to marry and it's common sense. However, we're a religious family and though he feels this way and doesn't think his religion should effect the government, he always felt a little weird about homosexuals considering it is considered a sin. He doesn't hate or have a real problem with them, but he thought in God's eyes it's wrong, and it's a sin, and he'd prefer it wasn't there, basically.

However, after church me and my mom were in a bit of a debate against my dad, who, though he claims to not support or be against homosexuality, will argue you to the death about how it's wrong because of the bible, and if you begin using the bible to debate with him, it becomes very clear it goes beyond the bible and he is just uncomfortable with it.

Anyway, in this debate, I made a lot of good points, I guess, that really made my brother question things. The biggest one being when my dad said that God made humans to procreate, and that's why there is a man and a woman, I mentioned that God has made people born unfertile. I asked if, because these people were born unable to rocreate, they were wrong in God's eyes.
    There was a lot more to the conversation than just this, before this I made a lot of good points as to why every human being is committing as much sin as a homosexual as part of their own lifestyle, if we look to Leviticus, as well as reasons why it's possible it may not be a sin after all, and there is no real way a human being can know for sure. (This is obviously lost on those of you who are not religious, but you know.)

Skip ahead, we went out to eat after church, and my brother approached me when my parents were at the buffet and said "I just want you to know you changed my mind about gay people. God made them that way for a reason, even if we can't understand it. I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all." and then he joked "maybe stuff like that is God's form of population control!" aha it was pretty cute.
    We've talked a bit more since, and it's just great to know that he isn't stuck in the middle, but clearly 100% on my side and in support of LGBT and the movement and all. He actually thanked me for opening his eyes to it.

I'm just so happy :eusa_clap

2. GayDadStr8Marig

Huge congratulations to you and your brother! Obviously you're a bright and articulate woman and your brother is smart enough to recognize that fact. Well done! :slight_smile:

3. Gengars

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh that's simply fantastic! It's great to have straight allies, no matter what anybody says. And a religious allie too! It's funny, my older sister changed my view of homosexuality as well several years ago, and look at me now!

4. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's great. I'm happy for you and your brother. Maybe now all of you can tag team against your dad. haha

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You have a great brother, and you sound like a very good debater.

6. duende84

Hi there IJM

This a nice reasoning from your side :slight_smile: I also think and know God has a plan for everything including me and you being gay. He is never brutal.

Blessings
    D