1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dad is fading and fading and fading and fa...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by XTREMEZish, Feb 10, 2014.

1. XTREMEZish

So I told my dad and he is fine with it but our relationship hasn't gotten better like a lot of people say. We just keep on drifting further and further apart. We live together and I try to hang out with him but when ever I try to talk to him or interact with him he just shrugs it off. He knows I'm gay and is fine with it since he is a therapist an was taught this in school. But I can't talk to him. I try to but he never seams present or aware of what I am saying. I have actually bean trying to talk to him about anything. Walking Dead, movies we like, celebrities who don't deserve to be famous, personal life, his work, and my school. He doesn't even care what I do anymore. He didn't even know I was taking a second language in school even though I have told him. I know things won't go back to the way they where but I just want to be able to talk to him normally. Also he has offered to talk to me but I honestly don't want to talk about it with him.

1)Does he think I'm ignoring him by not discussing being gay with him? I really don't want to and I feel like he knows all what he needs to and what I want him to know.

2)Is it just him detaching himself from my life. We have never really had the same interest except for a few things. Should I become more invested in his life?

3)Does he still love me just as much? I know this a sad thing to talk about but before I told him about it he would always be very weary or sometimes even angry at me when I did something our of the ordinary. I once brought home a book about ghost hunting and he banned me from reading it. Does being gay make him think less of me because I am different?

4)Should I just let us drift apart even though I still love him and want to be friends again. One of my favorite things to do is go to Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights opening night. It is my dream place to be. I turned down so many friends because I wanted to bond with him. He had fun and it did help a little. Just help please.

:help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

2. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    First things first. I love HHN. lol Was just there in October. Orlando, though. Man did I get hammered. Now with that out of the way....

When did this start? Do you feel like you guys have been drifting farther apart before or after coming out? Is it possible that he may have something going on with himself that's keeping him a little zoned out?

I highly doubt that he's lost any love for you. I definitely can't recommend that you stand idly by if you think you two are growing farther apart. I guess my only advice would be to just straight up ask him about it. Tell him how truly feel.

Don't know how much this helps, if at all, but I hope this all turns around for you.

3. XTREMEZish

We where drifting before I told him and after I did tell him we just got farther and farther apart.

Also your so lucky. Orlando got Cabin in the Woods last year but we did get Insidious over here in Hollywood.

4. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I guess I can only say to talk to him about it. Tell him that you need to talk to him about it because it's killing you. Just tell him how you are truly feeling. I don't know what kind of therapist he is, but maybe let it be known that you want a father/son talk, not a professional/patient type of talk. I wish you the best with this situation.

Oh and yeah, Cabin In The Woods was great, my favorite along with An American Werewolf In London.

5. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sure he still loves you -- chances are there's just something else on his mind that's either distracting him or bringing him down a little bit. I doubt it has anything to do with either you or your sexuality so please don't blame yourself. This is especially true since you said he was acting distant before you came out to him.

I would just keep trying and making yourself available; I'm sure at some point he'll try to re-establish a more meaningful connection with you. If you want to push things along, just say "Hey Dad, you haven't really seemed yourself lately. Is everything okay?"

I don't think you need to force yourselves to share the same interests either. I know my dad and I talk almost exclusively about hockey since we're both so wrapped up in it, but I can't think of any common interests I have with my mom and we get along pretty well. I'm not very good at talking about anything personal with either of my parents, but I don't think that has anything to do with our hobbies or interests.

6. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Right after I told my parents i was gay in not best way possible they did not talk about for a a year and the whole time I wondered why they were not mentioning it at all. They said they accepted me and loved me no matter what so I wondered if they changed their minds or thought I was just confused so they were being nice about it. The whole time I thought to myself why is this happening my parents decided to wait until I bring up the subject. So we both misunderstood each other in that respect. Just have faith and be patient. It is hard of course but I am sure he need time to take to put it all in perspective. Most parents see their children falling in love with a person of the opposite sex and some parents cannot come to grasp of their child being different until it happens and they take it all in.

Some parents always knew and accept it right away without blinking a eye. Hope it all works out for you.

7. RedVines

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know how you feel man. My dad has been doing the same thing. We barely talk and when we do it has never been about me being gay. He knows I told him but he still asks me about girls like the 2 times I told him was a lie. He loves me, he provides for me, pays my tuition but he won't accept that I'm gay. We only talk when we chill and watch basketball or something, or grab a bite to eat. And when he needs me to help him fix something. Hang in there, you can do what I do and just accept it, or u can keep trying. Don't give up like me, I don't like talking about me being gay but if u have no problem stand up my friend.