1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friends prefer my frenemy rather then me?! :(

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MoyashiAlice, Feb 13, 2014.

1. MoyashiAlice

I'm sure some of you know this, but I have a "frenemy" named V. I no longer consider her a friend, due to the fact that she practically stalked me for a while and could be quite cruel. (Don't want to go into too many details again, for the sake of those reading about her again :wink:.)

Quite a few people on this site suggested telling her that I no longer want to be her friend and be done with it. Unfortunately, I have come to the realization that while that method would normally work, V is so intertwined in my social group that this may not be the best course of action. I recently created a new Facebook account and quickly noticed that she and most of my remaining friend chat all the time.

For example my oldest friend, who I have known since grade one, and her were posting on each other's wall. My old friend posted, "I love you. I really, really do." to which my frenemy typed back, "I love you too." (They meant this in a friendship platonic way.) Other friends have said similar things too, or show that they feel deep, affectionate friendship for my frenemy.

This is where it gets complicated. If I tell V that I no longer want to be her friend, she will for sure tell the others about it. (She already talked behind me back once to one of our shared friends saying that I cared for work more then friendship.) Then I worry that it would turn into a sort of pick-a-side scenario.

It may be me just being a worrywart, but I fear that if it comes to that then most people will side with my frenemy, one because I seem like the bad guy refusing her friendship and two because most of my friends seem to prefer her.

Any ideas? Should I just continue to do the method I am now, which is slowly breaking off contact? (Hasn't been working well) Or should I tell her that I no longer wish to be friends, no matter what the consequence?

2. Hiems

You should not have to feign a friendship with someone who hurt you to maintain other friendships. Doing so seems mentally exhausting and not worthwhile.

Does anyone within your circle of friends knows the about the tension between V and you? If you explained your situation, then perhaps they will stand by you, if you decide to break off the friendship.

3. Moogie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi!

Isn't there any chance of repearing your friendship with V.? If there is not, i am afraid that you are into a really hard situation.

You could try to refuse her friendship, but just as you've written, people may turn their backs on you. Do you think that breaking contact with her completly is really necessary? Maybe you can just hang out with the same people, while decreasing contact with her to miniumum. That solution might work as for now. You don't have to be friends with V. just because your friends are befriended with her.

On the contrary, if you really want that girl out of your life, then you will probably have to do it the harsh way.

So think about it. I wish you good luck :thumbsup:

4. MoyashiAlice

@Hiems
    Thanks for the solid advice. :slight_smile: Your right that I shouldn't need to fake a friendship yet that is what I've had to do for the past three years. There is only one of my friends who is also not friends with V, and I explained the situation to me. She felt bad, sort of sided with me but didn't really have any suggestions. The main problem is also that V feels as though we are still close friends when we are not.

@ Moogie
    Unfortunately, I don't think I can repair my friendship with V. She did some pretty petty and mean things at one time. For example, her mom started constantly asking my mom if I had a mental illness as I was acing distant. When my mom told her mom once that I was sick (we later discovered it was a panic attack), V brought it up in front of ten other people and wanted to know what had gone on. It freaked me out, and at that point I started acting even more closed off.

The main problem is that V still wants to hang out with me alone sometimes or wants a group of 3-4 (small, close group) to hang out. I'm not really comfortable with that, yet I don't know how to basically hint that were not friends anymore.

5. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    just ignore her that completely breaks friendship off

6. MoyashiAlice

@Rosepetal
    You think that would work. Yet every two weeks, she sends me a massive new e-mail telling me what's going on in her life. I do respond, because I would feel horrible if I didn't, but only with a sentence or two. Yet still, she never lets up and will also try to invite me over every time she is away from school.

7. Hiems

It's insensitive for her to do such a thing. If one of my friends revealed any of my secrets to others, then I would sever that friendship immediately.

Granted, I suspect V never made an oath with you. But that still doesn't justify her telling everyone what happened. Intuition tells me to keep it on the down-low.

If V really was your friend, then she would have privately asked you what's up, not sensationalize the situation in front of others.

8. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it will work if u avoid her completely

9. Moogie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Now, after I know more about V, i get your concern. It seems like she's a toxic person. You shouldn't ever hang out with someone who can be cruel towards you.

I am afraid that avoiding her may work only for a short period of time. Eventually, someone would start asking questions. If not V, then someone else. Friends from your cliche, for example. You would probably have to have a serious conversation anyway.

I would advise you to speak to V, tell her honestly why you can't be friends with her. She should lern her lesson. Maybe someday she will change and will stop doing such horrible things.

After you will break your friendship with V, things may get hard for you, but i still believe that it is the best solution. I wish you good luck :icon_wink

10. MoyashiAlice

Yeah, telling her may be the only way, even though it puts my other friendships at risk. Thanks for the advice guys. :slight_smile: