1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kinda worried

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by MissyT, Feb 14, 2014.

1. MissyT

Hi, I'm going to get straight to the point since I don't have much time. I think my friend is involved with a sociopath. They say they are just friends but he is super jealous of her and is spreading rumors about all of her friends (including myself) so that she won't see any of them. He has actually been violent toward her and he has stalked her. He has gone as far as going to her flat in the middle of the night to watch her sleep (creepy) ! I don't know what I should do about this. He seems like the sort of guy who would kill her and she doesn't see it. Is there anything I could do? Is it even any of my business? I've tried talking to her. I just don't want her to get hurt. If anyone has any ideas they be greatly appreciated.:confused:

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tell her you have her best interests and think this guy is being manipulative. Maybe she needs to see a therapist because she is not realizing how bad her situation is. But, remember you can't force her to change.

3. Jonathan

It sounds like she is involved with an incredibly insecure and manipulative person. My brother was with a person like that before years ago. I would say that you should let your friend know your feelings about this person (and be ready to provide examples of their behavior) in an attempt to help them see it. However, do this only once or twice. Your friend will know what you think, but in the end it's completely her decision. If she can't see it or is not ready to, your constantly bringing it up could actually harm your friendship and I don't think you want that. So after making your opinion known, all you can really do is support your friend with whatever decision she makes and be there for her if she needs you.

4. jonnemack

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'll agree with mister resu.

Maybe professional help is what solves problems. Quite simple.

5. MissyT

She already goes to a psychiatrist :/ I've tried talking to her and she won't hear it. I'm scared to really scared for her and for all of her other friends. We are trying to persuade her to be more cautious.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try to show her rationally what is happening. Ask her if she thinks someone who really loves her would do such things, and ask if and why she believes his rumors. Ask her how she knows this guy won't be violent again. She may not have good role models for a happy relationship. Check this out:
    11 Signs You May Be Dating A Sociopath

7. MissyT

Thanks for the link. I'll have her look at it as well. I hope she'll listen.