1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating advice?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Sarah257, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Sarah257

Ok, let me start by prefacing a few things. I am a transwoman who is at the very early stages of transitioning: as in hasn't gone outside as a woman yet, or seen a therapist yet (although I plan to try both within a few weeks). I also live in a small(ish?) town that holds fairly...let's just say "conservative" views. I was just wondering about the whole dating thing. I've only dated two people, and they weren't really dates in any real sense because I wasn't really interested in them (it was a self denial thing). Now, I don't intend on dating or anything for at least a few months, but with my limited enough experience as it is, coupled with my environment, I don't really know how to go about it. If anyone could give me some advice on how to go about this I'd be ever so grateful.

2. Nick07

I am not sure, I don't know anything about your town or the neighborhood, but please make sure you are safe.

3. Sarah257

I will. I'm naturally a very cautious person, and I have a number of ways to decrease the likelyhood of attacks. As far as my town and neighborhood, I live more on the outskirts of town, to the point where I'm not exactly part of it. Thankfully, this means I have very few neighbors and am less likely to be harrassed than if I did live in town. The town itself is harder to peg. I know for a fact that their are a large number of individuals who are likely to give me a hard time as this place is fairly religious which often translates to being bigoted toward LGBT people. Which is why I stay away from the local churches (even though a few might be LGBT friendly). Truth is, I'm unsure of just how bad it is because of massive advoidance behavior on my part. I know that giving my actual adress is forbidden here, and even if it wasn't I still wouldn't. However, I am unsure if it would be okay for me to reveal the name of the town. Is this allowed? I mean, it fairly small, I want to say between 5 and 10 thousand people, but I don't think the name could give me away too easily as I'm not public yet.

4. Nick07

I am not sure.

Do you plan to move away in the future? Or do you want to find a way how to live there during the transition and after?

5. Sarah257

I may move away in the future, but as of right now I have no real plans for or against it. As for living here during, I would prefer to stay here. I know people here and am overall comfortable with this place, but I'm mostly concerned with people's reactions. It would be great if I could stay here and transition fully with no problems, but at the same time I know that's a bit unlikely to happen. I expect there to be issues with dating because people do know me here even if I am seen as a bit of a recluse. Thankfully a large number of people who I know are away at college and are unlikely to come back, but people some still remain. Thinking this over by posting this, I probably will have to move even though I don't really want to. :frowning2: