1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Bit Annoyed With My Mom

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by YuriBunny, Feb 16, 2014.

1. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay so I came out nearly a month ago and my mom seemed perfectly fine with my sexuality. But today something she said greatly bothered me. She was talking to my sister (who is nine years old) and said something about her having a husband someday, in a way that makes it sound like she knows it will happen. My sister said she might not have a husband, and my mom assumed she was suggesting that she could possibly be a lesbian like me and got angry. She said something like, "Just because you look up to your sister doesn't mean you have to be just like her. You like girly things like makeup and all that; you always have, so you can't possibly be gay. One of my kids is going to marry a man and have children with him, and it's gonna have to be you, since it won't be your sister."

This is exactly what I was worried about when I was planning on coming out. My mom is absolutely determined to get one of us to live a 'normal' life. It's always been that way. One of the main reasons I was afraid to come out was because I didn't want to put pressure on my sister to follow my mom's wishes. I don't want my sister to feel like she has no choice but to submit to this. I have no reason to think she might be gay, but I'm still worried about her.

I'm also annoyed that my mom is using lesbian stereotypes to convince my sister she can't possibly like girls. -_-'

2. Roxas102030

my mum is kind of the same but i haven't come out yet she is the worlds biggest homophobic person and she's always talking about how we are dirty people who throw our lives away but when she says those sorts of things i just plug in my headphones and listen to music but most of my music is stuff i don't want my mum to hear. my mom mainly uses gay rapists to example ordinary homo and it really tiks me off because most rapisists and petofiles are straight[​IMG]

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's only been a month.

Your mom is still coming to terms with what it means to have a lesbian daughter, and is still struggling with the "loss" of perception that you're straight and will live an "ordinary" straight life, What you're probably seeing are remnants of the "anger" and "bargaining" phases (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance) of her understanding and accepting that you're a lesbian.

I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. If she's still saying stuff like that in 3 months or 6 months... it might be sensible to talk to her about it, but for now, I wouldn't worry too much.