1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dad is so confusing!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ChromeNerd, Feb 16, 2014.

1. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been out to my dad since I was fourteen. I hinted my sexuality to him before I officially came out to him. He started joking about me being gay in response. Thinking that he got my hints I officially came out to him.

After I came out to him he seemed genuinely surprised. He started his own variation of the all too common "you're too young to know" speech. After I came out to him he resumed his gay jokes. As he found other things to focus on the gay jokes got less frequent. I assumed that meant he was starting to accept my sexuality.

A few months ago I was causally talking to him about future relationships and how my religious extended family would react if they found out. Then my dad started telling me that I'm too young to know. I was shocked. After that he started making more gay jokes.

2. Ravi-VIXX777

:bang: Ouch. It'll take some time for him to let reality set in. Have you told him when you started liking the same sex? Or that you never liked other guys?

Mine is the same. He continues to ask me what girl I'm taking to the prom and if I like any girls. He's slowly catching on.

3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tell your dad that the gay jokes are offensive and not funny at all. Be very clear with him that you know yourself better than anyone else, and you know without a doubt you are attracted to girls. You might even ask him how he knows he is straight and if he ever made a choice.

4. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Seems some people are determined to be their own broken record. Sounds like this is your dad's way of trying to deal with something he can't deal with. Either tell him to get over himself (in a loving way, of courcse), or you're just going to have to brush off this response for the defense mechanism that it is and hope he finally gets it the day you walk down the aisle with the girl of your dreams.