1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hey everyone, need advice: lesbian gf having girl friends

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ahnni, Feb 18, 2014.

1. ahnni

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey guys. so i am new to this and i really am looking for genuine advice and varied perspectives. I have been with a woman for a long time We were high school sweethearts....a long time ago early in our relationship there was infidelity. she cheated on me with my best friends sister...it caused me to leave her and spend a year with someone new, and she as well, but we ended up coming back to each other because we did a lot of growing up and wanted to give it another try.

Things have been great since 2012...in fact all throughout my four years in college. But now,, all of a sudden, my partner is starting to make new girl friends in the mall that she works. She hung out with one of them today to do errands...while she says its nothing serious and that they are just friends, she is very beautiful and so are all of her new friends. I want to stress that this isnt really a matter of me being physically insecure, because I find myself attractive as well (not to be into myself).....

well point is i can go on and on and on about the story and tell u all the nitty gritty details but the truth is it comes down to me not liking these new friends and her feeling i am being controlling.

her rational is that she is a girl and should have girl friends....i trust her, i dont trust them....

hope i didnt come off like a total idiot. any advice is super awesome:bang:

2. LD579

You trust her, and so it'd be best to allow her that freedom to choose her friends. You do not need to like her friends or vice versa, and her friendships should not affect her relationship with you, you know? It really is as simple as that. Of course, this jealousy of sorts, if you'd like to call it that, really can only be controlled to an extent by you. Focus on what you can control and what you cannot. I recommend not restricting her from making and meeting these people, as I think that's something that's just beyond what you can choose for her and wouldn't be conducive to a fair relationship necessarily, so there's that.

But part of this issue can be dealt with just by talking about it as you've just done. I think it'd be good for you to continue to do so. With time, you might find yourself more patient in this regard, perhaps. At the very least, open communication is helpful in solving issues even if it's just with yourself and is also cathartic.

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's tough but I think you have to let her have friends. How well do you know these girls? Have you met them or do you just know who they are?

4. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you trust your girlfriend, then you shouldn't be worried about her friends. When she says they're just friends, then they probably are just that. Do you have any other reason to suspect they might be otherwise? Like, has she grown distant towards you, or something like that? Do you know if any of those girls are gay or bi? If not, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

While you might not be physically insecure, it's still possible to be emotionally insecure, especially after something like being cheated on happens. To make a long story short, I know for a fact it's hard to deal with that kind of jealousy, even when things are looking good. It sticks with you, and seems to only heal with time and love. Don't let that feeling cloud your judgement though.

Also, you didn't come off sounding like an idiot. You're just worried. Nothing wrong with that.

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

If you've been cheated on before, then yeah, I think It's pretty normal to be jealous and insecure. Like Eleanorhunter said, those feelings stick with you.

But just because she has female friends doesn't necessarily mean anything by itself. I think most people want friends their own gender to relate to, so even if they're gay it doesn't mean anything. I prefer having female friends myself- most of which are good-looking and queer, but that doesn't mean I've 'done' anything with any of them.

It's probably the same with your girlfriend.